LegacyGT.com

XForce exhaust and thumbs up to Summit Racing

So a few days ago I bit the bullet and purchased the 3" XForce catback system though Summit Racing. It had free shipping and, as has been widely reported, the pricing of the catback was already modest to say the least.

Fast forward 3 days and the exhaust arrives. I happened to be home for the delivery so naturally life's responsibilities took a back seat while I opened my new exhaust.

As I removed packing material I saw the pipe bends and welds are beautiful and all the flanges appear to be plenty rugged. Definitely very good workmanship throughout....that is, until I started looking over the mufflers. As I continued to check things out it became obvious that one of them has blemishes to the point that material appeared to be peeling off.

Now, keep in mind this is sold as a polished system however it is my opinion that, at the very least, the mufflers are chromed based on the peeling effect.

I thought about it for a few minutes and decided to phone Summit to see about the possibility of an exchange and it was ultimately not big deal if they couldn't help

After speaking with customer service it was decided that Summit would send me a replacement muffler with a shipping label to send the defective one back.

So this thread is a bit of a combination of a vendor review and eventually a feedback thread on installation and cabin noise for this catback system.

Huge thumbs up to Summit Racing. Their customer service has been and continues to be excellent!

All that and no linky link ??

I can't be bothered to Google stuff

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Come on, summitracing.com

I have been using them for many years, when I was looking for a propane heater for my garage, I called and spoke to a real person, before spending $700.00. Great customer service.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Well this is wonderful. Went to install the new catback and the flange on the cat disintegrated.

I suspect my choices are to drop that section of pipe and will hopefully install a new flange or find a replacement entirely.

Yeah, it's mostly stock.

As far as repairs, I thought about brazing a new flange since I have oxy/ acetylene all set to go. Also considering one of those flange repair kits that clamshell around the pipe and is bolted together on each side.

Doesn't seem there are any current partouts here or on FB so the repair route is the likely path

That lower connection seems to take a beating from the elements and maybe the moisture in the exhaust. I know the lower flange on my 72k DP had seen better days. Don't think whomever bought it cared.....likely turned it into $crapmonies.

Interested to hear how you make out with the exhaust though. I always had good luck with Summit. Easy ordering and fast shipping.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Update regarding the returned muffler to Summit:

Since the system is sold under a single part number, I was unable to order just the right side muffler. Summit ended up opening up another system that was in stock in order to send me the muffler in question.

Replacement muffler arrived in 3 days with return shipping label. I immediately packed the defective one and shipped it Monday.

A completely seamless exchange.

I'll keep this thread updated as the installation progresses.

Scotty - the flange party is in NH. Come on up!

Update regarding the returned muffler to Summit:

Since the system is sold under a single part number, I was unable to order just the right side muffler. Summit ended up opening up another system that was in stock in order to send me the muffler in question.

Replacement muffler arrived in 3 days with return shipping label. I immediately packed the defective one and shipped it Monday.

A completely seamless exchange.

I'll keep this thread updated as the installation progresses.

Scotty - the flange party is in NH. Come on up!

I love NH, have family up there! I do wanna hear how this new exhaust sounds.. [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Once everything's back together I plan on taking a nice long drive to anywhere. There's a list to take care of besides the exhaust.... radiator, RF strut, swap wheels and front caliper slides.

I'll mssg you when the repairs have been sorted.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the general consensus regarding the heat shields above the mufflers? Mine are toast so the decision comes down to not worrying about it or fabbing some replacements.

FWIW, the XForce mufflers are considerably smaller than stock so there will be quite a bit of air space once installed.

I think you should be fine with the smaller mufflers.

I removed the heat shield above the resonator back in 2011 because it had rusted. The wagon is still running the stock mid-pipe.

I don't let the car idle much, so heat building up is not a concern.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• 1 month later...

Well, the exhaust is finally installed and I'm not pleased....which sucks because the system sounds great.

Below is the review I just left at Summit Racing.

I truly wish I had better things to say about this exhaust system however it's difficult to see the silver lining after one muffler was returned on the first shipment due to chrome peeling (the mufflers are definitely chromed regardless of the system being advertised as "polished") and once everything was installed, the driver's side muffler hangs ~2" lower than the passenger side. On top of that, the passenger muffler is at least 3" toward the front as compared to the other side so there ends up being an alignment issue when installing the muffler tips.

The exhaust note sounds great and offers a nice deep tone. The welds look good and the overall appearance of the system is also good. It's just that the fitment is horrendous and requires attention beyond the install.

Summit is and has been great to deal with so none of this is a knock on the company and I will continue to order parts through them as needed. It's XForce that needs to get their act together.

I am currently in direct contact with XForce USA.

Since this is not a Summit Racing issue, I asked them to supply me a contact number for XForce.

During the call to Summit, the representative offered 3 solutions-

1) return the entire system for warranty

2) return the entire system and receive a refund

3) knock some $$ off in order to get the repairs needed to correct the alignment issues.

THAT ^^ right there is what makes Summit so great!

Called XForce and at one point heard the words "we've never had a complaint about alignment on the Legacy's"

Maybe, maybe not.

I sent to XForce 3 pics of my concerns with the mufflers, a short video showing the system as installed and also a web link from MAPerformance that shows similar alignment issues from other installs.

Will continue to update as things progress...

good luck. yeah, Summit is pretty good, i've spent lots with them over the years. I even got my garage heater from them.

Within 24hrs XForce has come back with a satisfactory solution!

Ended up loosening both mufflers at their respective flanges and walked them each into place....little push there, little twist here, tighten down and it's plenty good now.

The flanges are slightly misaligned as a result but it's not anything I'm going to worry about.

Can't wait to start cruising!

FWIW, I put a thick bead of red RTV on both sides of the gaskets, let that set up for 15 minutes, before I install them. I think it helps to seal and maybe helps the gaskets to last longer.