LegacyGT.com

2.5GT Radiator/Condenser Fans

So about a year ago I had a run in with some high water which caused the fan motors to fail and led to draining and killing my very expensive (but free to me) Odyssey battery.

Once I finally figured out the fans where the problem is when the real fun began.

I usually go to Rockauto for parts like this however they list and verified that the fans they stock have 4 "pins" and not 2 pins such as the 05-12 GT uses.

I searched everywhere and found the same issue.

Ended up with junkyard parts from an '05 Legacy GT wagon.

This post is simply to inform any 05-12 LGT/OBXT of the potential problem with AM part suppliers.

The motor alone from Subaru is around $140 avg.

An aftermarket fan assembly is listed for $60-$120

Problem is the connectors are wrong on 99% of them.

I did have a list of AM mfg P/Ns but I've lost it.

So if someone here has ordered the fans for a 2.5 GT from RA or other sites and can confirm that they are right it would help future "me" from having a set of wrong fans that the seller (carparts.com) can't seem to get 2 shipping labels right for 3 months now.... a whole other story...

So..... Nobody here has ordered correct (oem) radiator fans for a GT?

I see USED motors and fan assemblies all over ebay so I'm assuming these used part suppliers know the scarcity?

Sure it's wise to use mfg parts but when the cost is 2 if not 3 times that of a full assembly aftermarket it's hard to justify $300+ for this on a car that is worth ~$5k... well $7k+ now with current used car prices.

Edited by foxrider28

So..... Nobody here has ordered correct (oem) radiator fans for a GT?

I see USED motors and fan assemblies all over ebay so I'm assuming these used part suppliers know the scarcity?

Sure it's wise to use mfg parts but when the cost is 2 if not 3 times that of a full assembly aftermarket it's hard to justify $300+ for this on a car that is worth ~$5k... well $7k+ now with current used car prices.

I have never heard of someone replacing their OE Fans.... Unless you keep your eyes on a part out/junk 5th gen Leggy.

I think someone on the Facebook group is using SPAL slim fans and a mishimoto shroud. But that didn't sound like a direct swap. I think if I was going to do something aftermarket I would do a series/parallel connection for the two speed settings. Low would put the fans in series and high would be in parallel. I am sure it could be done with oem relays, or possibly with the fan controller off a 3.6 model.

If there is a NAPA parts near you, they have a number of options listed, and the images show the correct 2 pin connector. For Rockauto, have you called them or are you just going off the website? there's a good chance (since the fans they list which all show 4 pin plugs are indicated as being for 2005-2014) the images are a generic photo (for the connectors) and the fans are correct (one has a heart next to it indicating it's a popular product, which I wouldn't think would happen if everyone that bought it had to return it!)

If there is a NAPA parts near you, they have a number of options listed, and the images show the correct 2 pin connector. For Rockauto, have you called them or are you just going off the website? there's a good chance (since the fans they list which all show 4 pin plugs are indicated as being for 2005-2014) the images are a generic photo (for the connectors) and the fans are correct (one has a heart next to it indicating it's a popular product, which I wouldn't think would happen if everyone that bought it had to return it!)

You actually can't call Rockauto. There is no one to call - they don't even publish a number.

The listings on RA as with many other sites specify "4 pins". Yes you "cant" call RA but you can email as I did inquiring about it and was told the listings are based off the MFG specs and I'm 100% aware of stock photos. Also RA only has 1 of the fans the blades are different and they only list the 5 blade

But when every single reseller lists the same mfg specs what do you do... well I emailed Dorman directly and got "crickets" (so far) after stating the issue.

Here is one of the fans from them p/n 621-354.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-47533-621-354.aspx

Shows/specs a 4 pin connector with 5 blade fan

The other one is p/n 621-355

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-47533-621-355.aspx

This one shows the correct 2 pin connector but also 5 blade fan.

Problem is finding actual stock of this with 7 blades too.

This site is probably the best complete list I found.

https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2010/subaru/legacy/climate_control/a-fs-c_condenser_fan_assembly.html

The 2 pin pictures you see are mostly of the 2.5i connector. I have found some (old) listing on Ebay and Amazon showing the correct connector but most of those say "unavailable" and they also show both the connector styles.

As for non-factory options I really don't want to go this route since the car is essentially 100% stock other than a few driveability improvements.

I'm not so opposed to ordering a dorman unit I just wanted to find out IF any 4th/5th gen 2.5 turbo owner has order one and got the right part.

As for Napa/AZ/etc.... I tried this and they tried to give me a 2.5i fan which is what thier site says is "exact fit".

The 2.5i plug has female blade pins.... the 2.5gt has 2 male blade pins..... the 3.6r has the 4 male blades....

I'm planning to take the car to my body shop this week to schedule warranty paint work and I'm going to ask them to look into this too. They have come through on finding me (right) hard to find parts before. Luckily they can order and return it for "free" if it is wrong.

Edited by foxrider28

You actually can't call Rockauto. There is no one to call - they don't even publish a number.

Except that yes, they do? Go to their website, click on the "About Us" link at the bottom and it gives the number as 1-608-661-1376 - maybe that's not a technical support number? (not sure - haven't called - I have purchased a bunch of stuff from them over the years (the side of my toolbox is covered with rockauto magnets) - haven't called, but have emailed with issues before with good results when something wasn't quite what it was supposed to be.

Except that yes, they do? Go to their website, click on the "About Us" link at the bottom and it gives the number as 1-608-661-1376 - maybe that's not a technical support number? (not sure - haven't called - I have purchased a bunch of stuff from them over the years (the side of my toolbox is covered with rockauto magnets) - haven't called, but have emailed with issues before with good results when something wasn't quite what it was supposed to be.

I suppose I misspoke. I meant they do not have a customer support phone number. Their own wording here "RockAuto is a completely online company. We do not have a customer service phone number to provide assistance over the phone." In this case it means that they offer no pre-purchase fitment support on any products they offer for sale. If you buy something and it doesn't fit then they take things back no questions asked, though. All of this aside, I'm a big fan of RockAuto.

Edited by pinesol

Agree, ordered from them for nearly a decade and have only had 1 issue with a mirror on my 04 titan.... same tow mirror has 3 different connectors for each trim level..... hmmm....