LegacyGT.com

Stage 1 Cobb, hesitation and stutter

Chronuss

• 2 months later...
So, after waiting for parts from Subaru for seventy thousand years, sending wrong parts back and re-ordering correct ones, them losing one order, going on vacation, I finally got the wagon back yesterday. Drove it home on the stock map, and it feels much better, runs smoother, accel is a bit quicker. Put stage 1 on it...same gods damned ever-loving thing. It hits third gear, AFR jumps to 17-18, goes back to normal. So, can confirm it isn't a mechanical leak of any sort. Used some Google-fu and dug around other forums, so going to try swapping out the front O2 sensor and going to try a new MAF. I don't have reason to believe either one of these parts are actually faulty, but found a few posts in other places with the same conditions I have and others swapped these two sensors out for favorable results, so that is what I will try. Both Denso parts available on the Zon for much less than local auto part stores.

Does it hit 17-18 and then immediately drop to 11-12? Or does it hit 17-18 and stay there until out of boost?

Stock map works fine?

If I drive it in sport mode, it shifts from second to third under boost, AFR hits 17-18, stutters a bit, then comes right back down to 13-14. Cruising at speed its at 14.**, at idle its at 14.**.

Now, if I put it in manual mode, shift from second to third under boost, AFR still hits around 17, but no stutter.

Stock map feels great, no stutter.

Still waiting on the sensors from Amazon, will be here tomorrow. Long as its not raining, will swap those out real quick and give it a drive. May also try the stage 0 map since its supposed to be "stock," so I can see how it drives with that and see if the AFR does the same thing.

• 4 weeks later...
Can anyone please tell me the name of this elbow pipe where the front O2 sensor goes? As you can see, the O2 sensor broke off and is completely stripped. I have tried everything to get this thing out. Edited by Chronuss

Can anyone please tell me the name of this elbow pipe where the front O2 sensor goes? As you can see, the O2 sensor broke off and is completely stripped. I have tried everything to get this thing out.

That's part of the exhaust manifold.

https://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_2005_Legacy-25L-TURBO-5MT-4WD-GT-Wagon/_54102_6024464/EXHAUST-MANIFOLD-05MY-06MY/B13-055-01.html

This is right before the uppipe on the passenger side, the upstream O2 sensor behind the passenger side wheel well.

So exhaust manifold RIGHT hand side. Thank you. I think its going to be easier to replace that than trying to get this O2 sensor out...that I put in myself...eight years ago. Makes no sense. Thing acts like it was tightened by the right hand of god.

Edited by Chronuss

I texted you the part number. Not sure if it is still valid.

I should still have my O2 wrenches. I have never had an O2 not come out with some PB Blaster and one of my specialty wrenches. I will check my tool box and let you know. We might be able to extract the broken sensor, it would be all about the threads left in the "bung".

• 2 weeks later...

So my dude got the O2 sensor out...with a ratchet on it...and an air hammer on the ratchet.  Don't know what I did eight years ago under the Florida sun, but damn.

So after the O2 sensor and MAF replacement, still same nonsense when trying stage 1.  I'm over it.  There's no physical air leak so I don't know why the numbers jump.  Runs great stock so that is what she'll do. 

• 1 month later...

https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/p0420-diagnosis.49537/

Maybe that thread may help with the P0420.  You can reach out to cardoc on here, his name is supercharged.

Find him in the March 17th post here, 

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Already replaced the front O2 sensor and the MAF when trying to get the stage 1 Cobb tune to work properly.  Pretty sure the rear O2 sensor just isn't liking the resistor mod.

Even here it is advised to delete this code, but since I can no longer do that with Cobb, was going to try the Romraider approach just to get rid of the code.

On 7/11/2022 at 10:07 AM, Chronuss said:

Thanks all. Got part number, and I'll grab one off ebay if I need to if a torch can't get it out.

Were you talking about the O2 sensor ?

Maybe you didn't know about junk parts from ebay.  I buy parts from trusted places like my local NAPA, Advance Auto Parts, etc. or a few trusted on-line Import Subaru shops. Only use a DENSO 234-9120 front O2 sensor for a 05-07'

Are you buying fake parts?

Inbox

profile_mask2.png

SubaruOnlineParts <Updates@email.subaruonlineparts.com> Unsubscribe

10:05 (58 minutes ago)

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

Hopefully your parts are genuine

154062_screenshot20200705at5.06.10pm.png

Hey there,

If you are buying parts online, chances are you are getting ripped off and you don't even know it...

Most people are completely unaware that the parts & accessories they are buying are fake or counterfeit.

That's right. These counterfeit parts may have the right packaging, parts numbers, logos etc.

It's crazy but true.

Places like Amazon, Ebay & Facebook Marketplace are breeding grounds for counterfeit or fake car parts.

These counterfeit parts tend to break down and cause more issues for you along the way.

If you want to be certain you are buying authentic parts you need to check out our site because our entire inventory is 100% genuine auto parts, made only from high-grade materials.

>>> Click here for 100% Genuine Parts <<<

We know it’s difficult to find trusted sites that offer genuine and compatible auto parts & accessories.

That's why our team developed a system that allows you to input your vehicle information to find the most compatible part for your vehicle.

Best,

Benny @ Subaru Online Parts

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

If your sure you got a really Denso, then I would reach out to "m sprank or cardoc from above. Those two are some of the most knowledgeable guys.