LegacyGT.com

odometer reading

2017 Legacy Sport. After oil change at dealer odometer (not the individual trip odometer) started to register incorrectly. Mileage at oil change 38972. Mileage 1and 1/2 weeks later, after after trips totaling of more than 300 miles, shows 39098. as total mileage. Anyone know what can be the cause? How to correct ?

I would more believe that the tech mis-recorded the mileage at the oil change and it should have been 38672. Otherwise, you are looking at a broken speedo sensor or instrument cluster.

Pray to the Subaru gods that it’s the Speedo sensor. Just had to replace my cluster and I died inside. There’s a lot of legalities with the odometer and it had to be shipped to a company in New York.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by sylquist

IIRC that vintage uses the signal from one of the ABS sensors - usually it just needs to be realigned, but sometimes must be replaced. It's possible to knock the tone ring off, but that isn't likely if the wheels were not removed for the service. Did they do a tire rotation?

informenter-marker-1.pnginformenter-marker-1.png

Edited by ronemus

IIRC that vintage uses the signal from one of the ABS sensors - usually it just needs to be realigned, but sometimes must be replaced. It's possible to knock the tome ring off, but that isn't likely if the wheels were not removed for the service. Did they do a tire rotation?

informenter-marker-1.png

They didn't do a tire rotation, but I believe they did pull the tires off to check the brakes.

IIRC that vintage uses the signal from one of the ABS sensors - usually it just needs to be realigned, but sometimes must be replaced.informenter-marker-1.png

Speedometer/odometer input comes from the VDC module, which derives vehicle speed (VSS) from one or more of the four wheel speed sensors. Failure or malfunction (e.g. intermittent signal, signal mismatch between wheels) of a wheel speed sensor will throw a hard DTC error code.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png