LegacyGT.com

Reverse lights out.

Hey guys, new to the thread… I’m sure this has been asked but I didn’t see any mention of it. I have a 2005 legacy outback and the reverse doesn’t work on it. I have checked all the main issues, fuses are good, bulbs are good, wires in the hatch seem to be fine. I do have the 5speed trans, so I know that the backup light sensor might be bad, I’d like to check the backup relay first though. I’m having a hard time finding a diagram to know which one to replace. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Isn't the relay in the under hood fuse box ? see center near bottom of cover. Oh, I see that appears to be a fuse, not relay.

DSCN8542.thumb.JPG.608854e9f9c55184c76cf4b348e6c835.JPG

I believe the back-up light switch is the lower switch on the side of the tranny, I think the upper one is for the cruise control.

Here's the service manual, http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I tried to swap out that relay and they didn’t help sadly. And the piece on the trans is $380 so I was just trying to narrow everything out before I dropped that kind of money to have reverse lights. Thanks for the hwlp

Isn't the relay in the under hood fuse box ? see center near bottom of cover. Oh, I see that appears to be a fuse, not relay.

[ATTACH]295242[/ATTACH]

I believe the back-up light switch is the lower switch on the side of the tranny, I think the upper one is for the cruise control.

Here's the service manual, http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

I tried to swap out that relay and they didn’t help sadly. And the piece on the trans is $380 so I was just trying to narrow everything out before I dropped that kind of money to have reverse lights. Thanks for the hwlp

What part are you referring to? The case for the back 1/3 of the tranny is $380, but you don't need that.

The reverse switch on the tranny is ~$30 new.

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2005_Outback-25L-5MT-Base/Back-Up-Light-Switch/105549272/32005AA131.html

Yes. For the manual is is about $30. I have the automatic, according to multiple dealerships the one for the auto is about $380.

What part are you referring to? The case for the back 1/3 of the tranny is $380, but you don't need that.

The reverse switch on the tranny is ~$30 new.

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2005_Outback-25L-5MT-Base/Back-Up-Light-Switch/105549272/32005AA131.html

Apologies, I misunderstood you when you said "I have the 5speed trans" as most of the time people mean manual, but you meant 5EAT (auto).

According to the manual, B356 is the backup light relay.

Is that the one you found and tried to swap out?

1323483560_ScreenShot2022-02-19at10_34_09PM.thumb.png.fb5c3d24cfa4e78c4e407bcc4365a5b8.png

814719079_ScreenShot2022-02-19at10_39_30PM.thumb.png.7fb57d2dc73d717245006a8d3e2f8c61.png

1895615266_ScreenShot2022-02-19at10_40_08PM.thumb.png.3b58337b43f545a479ba8230af1bf1a6.png

Judging by the diagram, it looks like it's probably up on the side of the center console in the dash. Might need to take off the left side of the center dash (right side of driver's foot well) to find it.

From what I can tell on parts.subaru.com and the shop manual, there isn't a "reverse switch" on the 5EAT like there is on the manual transmissions. I'm not sure what the dealers are quoting you for, maybe the speed sensor on the tranny that is >$300.

Edited by Infosecdad

Instead of the dealership, have you talked to a local repair shop to see what they would charge. Look around your area for a shop that has been around for a long time.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yep, I swapped out the b356 and that didn’t solve the problem sadly.

I appreciate the help as well as the diagram.

Apologies, I misunderstood you when you said "I have the 5speed trans" as most of the time people mean manual, but you meant 5EAT (auto).

According to the manual, B356 is the backup light relay.

Is that the one you found and tried to swap out?

[ATTACH]295255[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]295257[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]295256[/ATTACH]

Judging by the diagram, it looks like it's probably up on the side of the center console in the dash. Might need to take off the left side of the center dash (right side of driver's foot well) to find it.

From what I can tell on parts.subaru.com and the shop manual, there isn't a "reverse switch" on the 5EAT like there is on the manual transmissions. I'm not sure what the dealers are quoting you for, maybe the speed sensor on the tranny that is >$300.

'05 is about old enough to be able to find at pick-your-part junkyards. Have you thought about looking around to find one?

I had to replace bluetooth modules on two of my cars; ebay wanted about $150 each. I found a junkyard an hour away that had two of the same model on their lot. Ran down their, pulled the BT modules and the yard charged me $15 total including tax.

After looking a little harder because of better weather, I was able to find 3 broken wires in the boot. I spliced all those back together And now the light indicating that the rear hatch is open stays on. I checked all the wires 3 times And can’t seem to find a broken one.

Any ideas of what wire I should be looking for?