LegacyGT.com

2015 Subaru Legacy Transmission Problem

I have a 2015 subaru legacy and there are three things that I am noticing that I think could mean my transmission is breaking. First switching between D,R and P, it takes like maybe a second or two for it to engage and for the car to start moving. Second is I feel like when I switch between D,R and P, it is a bit difficult moving the shifter and when I switch between D,R and P, I hear metal clunking noises. Does anyone have an idea of what these problems could be the result of?

... switching between D,R and P, it takes like maybe a second or two for it to engage ...

That's normal. The Subaru spec is 1.6 seconds max. To avoid jerking or clunking, simply 1) foot on brake pedal, 2) move the shift lever, 3) pause briefly, until you feel the forward or reverse clutch fully engage, and 4) drive off. Don't attempt to shift while the car is moving.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

You may also have some trouble and hear a clunk noise if you park on a slight hill. If you don't set the parking brake it's sometimes a little rough putting it into gear after it's settled into park on a grade.

I always set the parking brake even on flat ground but today I was parked on a flat surface and i had my window down and I was switching between D,R and P and I could hear a weird noise happening everytime I switched, it sounded like metal hitting metal.

That's normal. The Subaru spec is 1.6 seconds max. To avoid jerking or clunking, simply 1) foot on brake pedal, 2) move the shift lever, 3) pause briefly, until you feel the forward or reverse clutch fully engage, and 4) drive off. Don't attempt to shift while the car is moving.

I do that and from doing some research it seems like that second or two is normal but when I am shifting the lever, it sometimes feels like it is taking too much force to actually move between the different modes even though I always use my parking break.