LegacyGT.com

Engine wont separate from trans 2009 subaru legacy SOHC

Hello. I am a new guy here and just started repairing my own cars on my own for the first time.

So I need to replace leaking head gasket on my Subaru Legacy. I took out all the bolts but engine is not separating from trans at all.

Things I did so far:

1. 6 bolts and 2 nuts have been taken out from bellhousing

2. Torque conv. 4 bolts out.

3. Engine mount 2 nuts out

4. Dog bone is just hanging. 2 nuts and bolts out.

5. Jack underneath the trans. Engine host on the engine. Engine mount threads are clearly out of the way

Things I have tried:

1. Shaking the engine mildly and wildly

2. Torched the dowel pins.

3. Have been hammering the separation point with prybar for 5 days now

Result is nothing. Not even smallest visible gap.

Am I missing something here? Somebody advised here to use putty knife and I am about to try that but from the look of it, it may not work

Can somebody please help me? What are the wildest things you had to do to separate the engine from trans?

Get the pitch stop out of the way completely, no sense leaving it there with the hardware out. I'm sure you're stuck on the dowels though. douche them with pb blaster or equiv. use a hammer and hit the mating point where the dowels are to knock the rust loose, easier on the passenger side than the driver, but if you get one side to separate just a smidge you're home free with a prybar. If that doesn't work, sharpen your pry bar or use a sturdy screw driver and go to town on the seam.

Last resort: With the engine and transmission resting on a jack stand high enough that the motor mounts dont touch the cross member, raise it two or three pumps with your hoist, and then quickly release the pressure to drop it. I've only had to do this once, but I'm in the PNW where cars dont generally get rusty, but the weight of the engine can pull it away from the transmission enough for you to get screw driver or prybar access.