LegacyGT.com

Sensor help..

I was cleaning my Engine bay and noticed this sensor bolted to the Drivers Wheel Well area under the Brake Resevoir.. Does anyone know what type of Sensor or Filter this is because I noticed about a 1/8 inch of Bare Wire.. All the wires go directly into the main wire harness.. Any help would be appreciated..20220104_152359.thumb.jpg.682c629c7b88999acd46a5855acdaa36.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

... Does anyone know what type of Sensor or Filter this is because I noticed about a 1/8 inch of Bare Wire.. All the wires go directly into the main wire harness.. Any help would be appreciated..

It’s an earthing point where those wires are bonded together & connected to the body at that bolt. There are probably a number of earthing points like this throughout the vehicle, another one like that is on the inner guard behind the 12V battery.

The white/cream/brown paste on the connection protects the wires from moisture (direct or in the air) that can cause galvanic corrosion & moisture wicking along the wires under the insulation. The short bit of bare wire shouldn't be a concern, but it would be a good idea to make sure it has some coating still on it. If it doesn’t just put a bit of protection on the wire – something like Lanoline grease or Dielectric grease would be fine.

Just in case that wire has been pulled & the earth connection has been lost, check continuity between that wire & an earth on the body with a multimeter - you should get 0 ohms (wiggle the wire when testing in case it has became an intermittent connection).

It’s an earthing point where those wires are bonded together & connected to the body at that bolt. There are probably a number of earthing points like this throughout the vehicle, another one like that is on the inner guard behind the 12V battery.

The white/cream/brown paste on the connection protects the wires from moisture (direct or in the air) that can cause galvanic corrosion & moisture wicking along the wires under the insulation. The short bit of bare wire shouldn't be a concern, but it would be a good idea to make sure it has some coating still on it. If it doesn’t just put a bit of protection on the wire – something like Lanoline grease or Dielectric grease would be fine.

Hi mate, we are both familiar with this aren't we ... we discussed this privately several months ago when I had a query concerning the very same component on my vehicle. The advice you gave me at that time was 100% correct, and your diagnosis was confirmed by my well informed mechanic when I went for a subsequent service at the dealer. At the time the brown paste had me worried because it looked a lot like corrosion ... but as you suggested at the time, it was apparently only the strange coloured anti corrosion application that Subaru applied at the factory. My mechanic added an extra application for added protection (and for my peace of mind.)

Thank you guys.. I getting ready to do the Big 3 Upgrade and will be doing all my Ground Wires.. I'll probably remove the bolt and check that bare wire and add some anti corrosive protection.. I check with my Meter before I disconnect it.

... At the time the brown paste had me worried because it looked a lot like corrosion ... but as you suggested at the time, it was apparently only the strange coloured anti corrosion application that Subaru applied at the factory. My mechanic added an extra application for added protection (and for my peace of mind.)

The colour isn’t obvious in Grnlantern1’s image, so for anyone who hasn’t seen the colour of that protection I have attached an image below of the earth point on the inner guard behind the 12V battery when our 2019 Outback was less than two years old. I’ve seen the colour vary from white to cream to brown.

P1040251_2019-Outback-3.6R_nearly-2-years-old.thumb.JPG.757056873e09ab8c495abcd98aa62308.JPG

I might use that spot too for my Big 3 Upgrade then..

Check my thread I’m pretty sure I’ve got the points I used labeled in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk