LegacyGT.com

Whine noise at full boost

I drive a 2000 Subaru Legacy Touring Wagon GT-B E-Tune, When I’m at full boost I heard a whine noise sounds like a supercharger, when I drive normal or at half the boost I don’t hear the noise at all, not sure if it’s the turbo or from the intercooler or some sort, I don’t believe it’s the turbo because I have to drive 4,000kms to my new location with this issue, I can heard the noise on the left side of the engine bay when you open the hood. Can’t seem to figure out where it’s coming from any ideas? Edited by OGHalo

are you totally sure it's related to boost and not RPM?

are you talking about 'full boost' above 4000rpm (parallel turbo mode) or below (single turbo mode)? or both?

After making sure where the sound is coming from, I can heard it from the primary turbo, it’s below 4,000 rpm, at full boost it does that

Can you coast down a long hill with the tranny in neutral and rev the engine. That will tell you if its tranny or turbo related.

My 05 GT wagon is loud under boost, but my gen 5mt is known to be loud, like a 1940's truck transmission. My vf52 is loud too as I have the intake silencer removed under the air filter box.

When I coast down long hills, the tranny is quiet and the engine sounds normal. but when I run the car up in rpm you can hear the whine like a supercharger.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 4 weeks later...