LegacyGT.com

Excessive (visable) exhaust on cold days...

As the weather is getting colder outside, I have noticed my exhaust in my side mirrors more than usual or seemingly more than the cars around me.... I haven't noticed the car overheating at all... But, last week I did get a low oil level warning light.. It was the first time I had that light come on, I'm about 1,500 miles past due for an oil change... I added about 3/4 quart to bring it back up to the full mark... I also remember adding a 1/2 quart about 2 months ago... I haven't checked my coolant level... A bit of recent work history... 4 months ago, passenger balljoint was replaced along with sway bar and end link bushings.. 3 days after that repair, car was mis-firing horribly with no check engine or codes.. Took it back and they had thought it was an exhaust valve issue and ended up replacing all 6 coils again.. This would be the 3rd time the coils have been replaced. I dunno after my 4th gen blew up I get worried when I see clouds of exhaust in my mirrors... Any thoughts?

Are you serious? Water is a natural product of combustion, and at lower temperatures water vapor in the exhaust will condense into visible moisture. This is nothing new, nor is it something unique to Subaru. Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

As the weather is getting colder outside, I have noticed my exhaust in my side mirrors more than usual or seemingly more than the cars around me.... I haven't noticed the car overheating at all... But, last week I did get a low oil level warning light.. It was the first time I had that light come on, I'm about 1,500 miles past due for an oil change... I added about 3/4 quart to bring it back up to the full mark... I also remember adding a 1/2 quart about 2 months ago... I haven't checked my coolant level... A bit of recent work history... 4 months ago, passenger balljoint was replaced along with sway bar and end link bushings.. 3 days after that repair, car was mis-firing horribly with no check engine or codes.. Took it back and they had thought it was an exhaust valve issue and ended up replacing all 6 coils again.. This would be the 3rd time the coils have been replaced. I dunno after my 4th gen blew up I get worried when I see clouds of exhaust in my mirrors... Any thoughts?

My thoughts ....

Don't look in your side mirrors

Change the oil when it is due

Check your coolant level occasionally

Buy some shares in a coil manufacturer

not related to your exhaust.

how old is your battery?

how old are your spark plugs?

you seem to have a lot of problems with your Legacy. How many miles on it now?

Mine was relatively trouble free when I traded it in at almost 72k miles.

I replaced the original battery at 71,232 miles. Then traded the car in two weeks later. lol. I was about to order plugs at that time too.

Rear brakes went at 54k and front brakes at 67k. Cheap if you do it yourself.

Edited by chowser51
battery and brakes