LegacyGT.com

Intermittent Cruise Control Stalk

I noticed that my cruise control stalk is intermittent when trying to speed up. Recently it has gotten worse and most of the time pressing up on the stalk does nothing. I imagine the electrical contacts are worn out. Is the simplest fix to just get a replacement stalk? Is this difficult to remove/install?

Thanks

The stalk is extremely easy to replace. Just need to remove the torx bolts for the wheel and I think you’re good to go.

This video sort of shows the process of getting it off since he replaces his steering wheel in this.

Best of luck! If that doesn't work, occasionally a bad neutral safety switch can cause a whole host of issues with cruise control. If you're able to turn the master cruise on and off without issue, but you're having issues with setting/resetting speed then that would be my next place to look.

For the cruise control issue, you need to thin the washer on the neutral safety switch. Or replace it by a less thicker copper washer.

The neutral switch itself works, but the plastic pin wears out. As a result, the contact is interrupted at a certain load (speed). You can compensate for this with a thinner copper washer. Simple solution that can solve your problem described with the cruise control.