LegacyGT.com

Gravel/Metallic noise on deceleration/spool down

Have a strange noise coming from my front right near the turbo, only notice it in first gear, off the gas and cruising to a stop sign. Sounds like gravel in the turbo, no obvious heat shield rattle or anything. Any thoughts?

How is the car running? Any lights? Guessing this is your 2008 so no cat in the UP. Had a look at the turbo, check for shaft play recently? Front axle?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Edited by whitexc

If it sounds like rocks inside of a can then your turbo may be starting to go. Once you get play in the shaft the compressor wheel strikes the housing and you chip on of the blades which throws the whole thing out of balance. Depending on how bad/where the imbalance is on the compressor wheel it can be rpm dependent. Would definitely have the turbo checked asap

If it sounds like rocks inside of a can then your turbo may be starting to go. Once you get play in the shaft the compressor wheel strikes the housing and you chip on of the blades which throws the whole thing out of balance. Depending on how bad/where the imbalance is on the compressor wheel it can be rpm dependent. Would definitely have the turbo checked asap

Checked for shaft play to which I found none, but will pull the entire turbo tomorrow or later this week. Had an OBXT blow its turbo and didn't really sound the same, but it was a 5EAT so chances are high the turbo is going

How is the car running? Any lights? Guessing this is your 2008 so no cat in the UP. Had a look at the turbo, check for shaft play recently? Front axle?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

No lights, runs well and builds 17.5psi well, spool time is good. Yes, 2008 is correct, running all aftermarket exhaust anyways. No visible shaft play, axles are tight. Will pull the turbo soon to check for sure.