LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket TMIC for durability (not performance) ??

Looking for knowledge and opinions...

My stock TMIC is starting to weep. It's not a measurable boot leak at this point, just the typical oily corner down by the turbo. But I'm planning on going stage 2 and want to deal with it before I do. I know an aftermarket TMIC is not necessary for my power goals but I wonder if it might not be a good idea from a durability standpoint?

I don't trust bulletproofing an intercooler that is already weeping so my choices are a new (or good used ?) stock IC then bulletproof it. Or an aftermarket with stock fitment like the AVO or Perrin. If I go aftermarket it would be used, ($800+ is not in the budget).

It looks like there is some debate on weather the aftermarket option would require a tune, what the current thinking on this? Would there be any disadvantage at stage 2 power levels?

Gary

I LOVE both my GS tmic's. They are big, yes, but they are easy to remove and install when needed. IMO, all the stock styles have fitment issues with the TB hose.

Hope you can find one used.

I don't believe you need a tune for one.

https://www.grimmspeed.com/categories/make/subaru/legacy-legacy-gt/intercooler/

Can't you find another couple hundred bucks...

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

There are zero disadvantages to a beefed up intercooler at any power level. You can run more boost when you go stage 2. If you’re getting a protune on a dyno, they’ll check for vacuum leaks before it goes on the dyno as well. I’m at 18 PSI on a VF46 and I believe Chris as Surgeline says he usually dials it pack a pound on the stock intercooler. No complaints with my Perrin, but it is heavy and cumbersome to uninstall and reinstall.