LegacyGT.com

Found an EBC on my used '05 LGT. I want to remove it...

So I was in the process of bleeding my clutch cylinder when I found that there's an electronic boost controller spliced to the stock lines right under the IC.

Previous owner claims that he upgraded to a VF52 since the VF40 blew up, but I've found he's lied to me several times so I don't even know if this is a VF52 or not.

What I want to know, could this EBC be put in place to help the ECU with boost? Or should I just get rid of it?

Is it just a matter or removing the electrical lines, and reconnecting the single hose to the turbo?

Boost controller is this one: https://www.amazon.com/MAC-35A-AAA-DDBA-1BA-CONTROL-SOLENOID-B238300/dp/B00YBN3DRO

Some pics:

https://i.imgur.com/tTtJyqb.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/uYDwL1g.jpg

While that isn't plumbed in the prettiest way, MAC boost controllers are what GS and Cobb use for their units on our cars, so it's not unreasonable to leave that there. It's been tuned for that EBCS. EBCS > boost pill. Ask a tuner if they see any reasonable issues with it, but if the car boosts smoothly then I'd leave it. My EBCS is basically placed right in the little groove between the turbo inlet and the intake manifold and has basically zero clearance, but it looks decent.

Your turbo looks like an IHI turbo but without taking it off I can't tell ya which turbo is is. If the car makes more than ~280 WHP at sea level it very probably is.

Yeah he did say he did take it to be protuned, and the car does boost smoothly though since I've found so many issues with it, I don't want to push it until I feel I've fixed them.

I guess I'll clean up the splicing (it's just there with electrical tape) and find a good place to put the EBC to sit in.

Thanks!

• 2 years later...
On 11/15/2021 at 4:47 PM, Max Capacity said:

FWIW, here's mine on the 09 Spec B. It's been there for about 5 years or more

IMG_1308.JPG.e4cf4b343d47ade01bb9194f1ba9d481.JPG

Max, how is your EBC holding up. It is much cheaper than the "ruggedized" Cobb or Grimspeed versions of the same part. I am considering this for my rebuild.

It was working fine when I sold the car a few months ago. That controller was an industrial model that has been around for many years and you can get them from supply houses for industry. It may not look pretty, but it works for industry. 

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here