LegacyGT.com

Rumbling/vibration with light throttle

Well today I finally had a chance to look the car over really good myself, and I'm a little embarrassed to say that I think the sound is coming from the exhaust. I had my wife give it a little gas while I stood outside the car (she heard the sound immediately by the way, so I'm not crazy!), and I could clearly hear the rumbling coming from the muffler. I don't know if it's supposed to sound like this, I find it hard to believe Subaru would put something like this on a Legacy. The muffler still looks almost brand new, but I realize there could still be a pinhole in it somewhere.

It is definitely not tires, they are in fact shitty tires the dealer installed, and they are noisy as hell on the highway, but this is not the sound I am talking about.

Shitty tires can be dealt with. Plus no need to go out and buy a set of $700 tires if you have a set with full or near full tread right now.

As far as the exhaust it could be something with the muffler or something that connects the muffler to the pipe such as a clamp etc.. chances is if it’s a New England car and the salt has gotten to the underside especially the muffler that’s normally the first thing to start rusting. I know when I wash my cars if they have been on plowed roads where I know their has been brine solution along with salt I generally wash the underside really good but a lot of people tend to forget the mufflers and even an auto wash will not get those.

As far as the dealer they are just looking for mechanical faults quickly such as codes and this problem may not have been an issue when they looked at the car initially.

I would say maybe have someone get into the drivers seat and hit the accelerator pedal while you are underneath the mufflers while the car is in park. Warm the car up first to operational temp and listen for the rattle.