LegacyGT.com

2005 legacy question

ok my girls boyfriend has the 05 legacy and he says it has a misfire and when i listened to it is sounded like maybe #4 cylinder has a tapping sound that comes and goes or gets louder and softer in sound.

i told him it sound to me like a rocker is lose or the cam is worn, maybe a bad lifter if they have them.

i do not know yet if it has codes if it sets them for lose rockers. hid dad said it had low compression but i do not know if he even took compression readings being he sends out all his car repairs.

so for me to start troubleshooting this i guess i have to pull the codes and post any i find here, but i started this because form what i have heard and mentioned here than some may say it has some cam rocker or lifter issue that i can start looking into. i have heard that these engine are bad for taking them off when the engine is in the car? and that mechanics do not like to mess with them. so i'm hopping i can get some answers before i start digging into this one. thanks bp

thanks i figure a compression test is in order but what i'm asking is this, what might be going on with that ticking noise? i have a corvair that now and then i get the same sound and that one is a lifter that loses its oil and collapses. but not knowing the workings of the subaru heads yet i'm asking if these have lifters in them to take up lash? if so it might very well be a collapsed lifter that is giving him the low compression on that cylinder. or maybe a rocker that has loosened and is slapping the cam in different spots causing that noise.

so maybe someone here knows of this problem and can help a bit by directing me to a possible fix. thanks

Sounds are fun to diagnose over the internet...

Subaru injectors are fairly loud, and contribute a fairly consistent ticking sound, even when new.

That engine has buckets and shims on the valves, it's possible they need to be adjusted to spec.

You can pull heads with the engine in the car, but it's really tight. Most people prefer to pull the engine and then work on a stand.

you know i do not know. i guess i should have asked him, but i'm leaning on non turbo. that noise i heard sounded just like a collapsed valve lifter. i have that on my corvair now and then if the engine happens to stop with that valve open the lifter bleed down and take a bit to fill back up. when i was hearing it run it clattered loud and every now and then it got better and then loud again. if it is a rocker hitting the cam i guess that is not doing the cam much good. thanks

i will ask him. i do not think it has the scoop but i have not paid much attention to it. at this time I'm busy putting a timing chain in their equinox. the wife thinks it does not have the scoop. i will ask him. i do not think it was modded as he is not the type for that. i believe it is bone stock.

thanks