LegacyGT.com

Safety Feature (Cruise Control)

For anyone living on the Eastern Seaboard of Australia in the past few weeks would certainly know the benefits of the Subaru AWD System. It has pretty much be raining heavily on and off for weeks and last night here in Melbourne was no exception. I was driving last night, rain bucketing down to the point where some cars actually pulled off to the side of the road. The rain continued very heavily.

I was travelling at 100KPH / 62MPH with CC on the freeway when I hit a flow of water travelling down a small rise in the road. The flow of water really pulled the Scoob up. I then noticed that my cruise was off. I tried several times to turn it back on but the button wouldnt even click in.

It wasnt until I stopped, turned the Scoob off, took the key out and restarted could I turn Cruise back on again. I thought it was a great safety feature and something that I hadnt come across before. Subaru U have done it again.

Ada///M.

PS My current ride is a MY01 and with all the rain and driving over the past few nights i have noticed a bit of clutch stink, so even after 4 years of ownership, U still get a bit of it, nothing out of the ordinary though.

This was just after the heavy down pour, so it wasnt during the actual storm, but a few mins after. I would say that 98% of the water would have drained off the freeway, it was just on this slight incline. But nice to know that these safety features exist. Bit like a PCar or M, you cant put them in CC over a certain speed.

Ada///M.

I actially drive with CC whenever, bad weather, etc. If its bad out I basically keep my foot on the brake, its gives me faster response for stopping!

Generally my CC method. In bad weather my right foot is near the brake and gas, and my left near the clutch. If something on the road is a problem I can quickly do what needs to be done, although if it's really bad I won't drive with CC. Forces you to focus more attention, CC can get to droning on and on which wouldn't be good during bad weather.

I noticed that on my 2002 forester. In rain, anytime I hit decent amount of standing water the cruise control would automatically switch off. Haven't noticed it on the legacy yet but haven't had it long enough yet to do much driving in the rain. I do know your not suppose to drive with the cruise on in the rain though I usually do it anyway.

I'm glad to hear the legacy has safety features like this. This makes me think how suprised I was once in my 04 Grand Prix GTP. I had the cruise set and had to change lanes on the freeway quickly to avoid someone cutting me off. The cruise deactivated, so I tried it again to make sure it wasn't a fluk. I guess the cars g meter would sense a sudden change in direction and deactivate cruise. Cars these days!

Archived