LegacyGT.com

Engine rebuild

So I've recently blown my engine, its the ringlands on piston 1. I'm trying to rebuild the engine but don't really know what all I'll need to replace. Is possible for me to just replace the Pistons with a bore hone? And is there anything else that I should replace while the engines out.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

I assume this is 5th Gen GT EJ255 (turbo motor). Unless recently replaced, you should replace the clutch & timing belt. You should check the valve clearances which will likely need to be adjusted. If it is a salt belt vehicle, some of the turbo shield, and water cooler lines will need to be replaced from rust.

As for the motor, if it has broken ringland, it is pretty likely it had damaged the cylinder wall to the point it require to bored. You will have to pull it apart to inspect it and measure it. If doesn't have damage, you could replace that piston, rings, and bearings. I would probably recommend just buying a short block from Subaru if needs any machine work. You also need to figure out why it had detonation which broke the ringland. It will happened again even if you use better pistons.