LegacyGT.com

auto vs. manual in the snow

You are right, it only limits the top gear. Meaning you will go through first and second gear and will never jump into other gears.

On my 1995 Legacy selecting "1" locks the transmission in 1st gear, and selecting "2" definitely locks the transmission in 2nd gear for the purpose of pulling from a stop in slippery conditions.

Selecting "3" lets the transmission use all gears up to 3rd, and "D" allows full use of the gears.

Ok, so I'm not crazy. I did recall reading that the sportshift can start in second, but I never tried it and my car is the manual. Can others confirm? If so that's a nice feature to toss in to the auto.

Came home and read the new posts on this thread and I started thinking: "Ok, I'm crazy. I was sure the 5EAT would not allow you to start in 2nd. So I went out and tried it. Surprise! I'd never tried shifting UP while stopped in Shift mode as a few of you described.

Good to know.

Came home and read the new posts on this thread and I started thinking: "Ok, I'm crazy. I was sure the 5EAT would not allow you to start in 2nd. So I went out and tried it. Surprise! I'd never tried shifting UP while stopped in Shift mode as a few of you described.

It's actually called manual mode if you refer to the owner's manual. At first when you referring to SportShift I thought you meant Sport mode which is a more aggressive version of the automatic shifting the car performs.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

It's actually called manual mode if you refer to the owner's manual. At first when you referring to SportShift I thought you meant Sport mode which is a more aggressive version of the automatic shifting the car performs.

I stand corrected on all points... but I still find it difficult to refer to it as "manual"; to me, manual implies a third pedal somewhere.

TeeLoo - Montrealer, Eh? I have yet to see a garnet wagon around my end of town. I've only met two other silver GT's on the road since I bought the car in June. It's one of the things I like about this car.

Archived