LegacyGT.com

Front Cv axle?

I need some help understanding/diagnosing the C.F. shafts. This vehicle has had 3 owners and the front shafts aren't stock.

The driver side outer boot has a 1" split starting and is throwing grease.

Both sides have in/out play on the between boots, and very little back and forth play, but enough to make metalic noise.

No clicking, popping or whining noise is notice while driving.

The rear cv have no play at all.

Is this normal to have some movement in these front shafts?

Thank you in advance for your input.

I'm thinking in/out play is normal, think about how the suspension moves.

You may be able to reboot it...but's it's not a OEM...so might as well just get a replacement.

There are some good aftermarket ones, call the guys at Raxles. there is a link in JmP's sticky up top about various parts, look back from the latest post. the Link is more towards that end.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I Just put raxles on my rig both fronts. They seem fine, a lot of people swear by them for remans. In and out is normal. They are meant to elongate at the upper joint. I've heard upper join wear can cause vibrations in the wheel and lower you will hear clicking and grinding. You can reboot them but you have to be sure you put all the innards in the boot back exactly where you took them off as they wear into the cup over the years and will certainly vibrate or fail if you swap the bearings back to the wrong races.

• 4 months later...