LegacyGT.com

AWD Wagon Battle on Fifth Gear - Legacy 3.0RB Vs Volvo V50 T5

Doesnt the 3.0 have the same HP rating as the 2.5 turbo at 250hp?, i personally think a NA engine would be better off than turbo... Does anyone kno how this course look like>? I assume the course tested on has plently of straights, because an RX-8 would beat a 350Z in a curvy course

i personally think a NA engine would be better off than turbo...

No.

Anyone have any real performance numbers for the 3.0 Legacy? We don't have it here in the states, but we do know that when you line up a 2.5 Turbo Outback with a 3.0 Outback, it ain't pretty for the NA model.

2.5T 250tq at about 3600rpm 250hp at about 6000rpm

3.0 219tq at about 4200rpm 250hp at about 6600rpm

Cobb stage 2 2.5T 345tq from about 3300rpm to 4500rpm

300hp at about 5200

Cobb Stage 2 protuned 2.5T 360tq from about 3350 to about 4800

315 hp at about 5600

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Slower than TWO Ford Fiestas!!!

Woman driver FTW!

Well look who shes up against...

Tiff Needell (TN):

Tiff Needell, born October 29, 1951 at Havant, England, is a racing driver and television presenter.

Tiff Needell, former presenter of BBC's Top Gear and currently presenter of Five's Fifth Gear

Enlarge

Tiff Needell, former presenter of BBC's Top Gear and currently presenter of Five's Fifth Gear

Needell's racing career took off after he won a Formula Ford car through a competition in Britain's Autosport magazine. Having been interested in trying to advance his career but not having the money, Needell leapt at the opportunity and won the Formula Ford title in 1975. The remainder of the 1970s saw Needell as a front runner in the British Formula 3 series and then in the Aurora British Formula One championship. In 1979 he was unable to graduate to the F1 World Championship due to the lack of the correct licence, but he was back in 1980, driving two Grand Prix for Ensign, qualifying for one, the Belgian Grand Prix at Zolder.

Since then, Needell's racing career has mainly consisted of racing tin-tops (hard-topped cars), with varying levels of success in sports cars, historic racing and touring cars. He achieved particular notoriety after an accident with Nigel Mansell at the 1993 TOCA shoot out race at Donington Park. However, Needell is best known in his native country as a noted television presenter and television and print motoring journalist, in particular in association with the BBC TV series Top Gear. In 2002, whilst BBC temporarily cancelled Top Gear, Tiff and the whole cast defected and signed with Channel 5 to produce and host a new motoring show named Fifth Gear. He is also known for his almost legendary powerslides, which last very long and are controlled. There have also been rumors that he plays the part of 'The Stig' in the BBC's rival show Top Gear.

The time is pretty good given the same driver (VBH) it beat a RX-8 and was only a tad over a second behind a 500 horsepower AMG Merc.

I'm a little suprised at how much of a pig the Volvo was around the track. Remembering a comparo in Automobile, the Volvo beat the LGT in accel (at higher speeds) and handling. Does this model suby have all season tires? Looks like my LGT base wagon was the right choice since I had been considering the V50 T5 AWD 6spd. I couldn't even find one to test drive and the price would have been over 30k vice 24k for my suby.

I'm a little suprised at how much of a pig the Volvo was around the track. Remembering a comparo in Automobile, the Volvo beat the LGT in accel (at higher speeds) and handling. Does this model suby have all season tires? Looks like my LGT base wagon was the right choice since I had been considering the V50 T5 AWD 6spd. I couldn't even find one to test drive and the price would have been over 30k vice 24k for my suby.

The diffrence is that when americans test handling they drive around in left hand circles and take numbers.

In Europe they actually flick it around a track with somthing called "right handed turns". The feel and balance of the legacy chasis is MUCH MUCH MUCH better and that is what makes the diffrence.

The only reason why the t5 beat the legacy gt is because for some stupid reason when they do highway passing tests they LEAVE the car in top gear and dont downshift for the test. The lower the gear ratio the faster the car will be. Completely stupid and moot test.

If they actually downshifted the legacy would rape the t5 so badly it would be a spec in its rearview by 120.

The diffrence is that when americans test handling they drive around in left hand circles and take numbers.

In Europe they actually flick it around a track with somthing called "right handed turns". The feel and balance of the legacy chasis is MUCH MUCH MUCH better and that is what makes the diffrence.

The only reason why the t5 beat the legacy gt is because for some stupid reason when they do highway passing tests they LEAVE the car in top gear and dont downshift for the test. The lower the gear ratio the faster the car will be. Completely stupid and moot test.

If they actually downshifted the legacy would rape the t5 so badly it would be a spec in its rearview by 120.

Actually the test I'm remembering they showed accel numbers and the LGT was faster to 60 but by 100 the T5 was walking away. 1/4 mile was within a couple tenths. I'll have to dig out the mag tonight.

You guys are missing the point of the spec.B version. The spec.B has inverted struts, Bilstein shocks, 18" rims and the STi's 6 speeder.

Sure the 2.0GT and the US 2.5GT would easily beat the 3.0R-B in a straight line, but around a track (especially the Anglesea track) I don't think there will be much contest. The 2.0GT might keep up due to better turn in but it won't match the cornering speeds.

The RX-8 time is a bit shocking, but it might be due to the tight uphill and cambered turns of the track.

Here's the comparo for those that don't want to d/l the entire Fifth Gear ep.

http://users.on.net/~nark/Liberty/R-BvsT5.avi

33MB

You guys are missing the point of the spec.B version. The spec.B has inverted struts, Bilstein shocks, 18" rims and the STi's 6 speeder.

Sure the 2.0GT and the US 2.5GT would easily beat the 3.0R-B in a straight line, but around a track (especially the Anglesea track) I don't think there will be much contest. The 2.0GT might keep up due to better turn in but it won't match the cornering speeds.

The RX-8 time is a bit shocking, but it might be due to the tight uphill and cambered turns of the track.

Here's the comparo for those that don't want to d/l the entire Fifth Gear ep.

http://users.on.net/~nark/Liberty/R-BvsT5.avi

33MB

In the US we have a 2.5 spec B. With all but the 6 speed which isnt even needed the turbo engines produce so much more torque.

Archived