LegacyGT.com

Deep rattling/low oil, timing belt tensioner issue?

Hi Everyone,

2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i with 97,500 miles.

For only two days, when I started my car up, I heard a low rattling noise for just a minute or two when I hit the accelerator, kind of like in the first 5 seconds of

but maybe a little lower. After this it went completely away

After the second day I checked my oil dipstick and it was low so I topped it off with a quart, and now when I check it cold it's on the "high" end of the dipstick.

Ever since doing this, I haven't noticed the noise even at a cold start before the car warms up, nor have I noticed any other noises. Any thought on what's up? It seems probably like an engine issue, and I'm guessing a timing tensioner issue, since they are (I think) oil pressurized (the logic being, adding more oil seemed to immediately fix the problem.)

I definitely plan to get this checked out soon, but I won't be able to do this for another few days. I guess at 97,500 miles, I should just do an entire timing belt kit replacement!?

Maybe I should check the timing belt ASAP before driving it to make sure it's OK and that the belt isn't stretched or frayed (looking through the viewing hole on the left side/taking off the timing cover on the right.)

Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

For only two days, when I started my car up, I heard a low rattling noise for just a minute or two when I hit the accelerator, kind of like in the first 5 seconds of

After the second day I checked my oil dipstick and it was low so I topped it off with a quart, and now when I check it cold it's on the "high" end of the dipstick.

Ever since doing this, I haven't noticed the noise even at a cold start before the car warms up, nor have I noticed any other noises. Any thought on what's up? It seems probably like an engine issue, and I'm guessing a timing tensioner issue, since they are (I think) oil pressurized (the logic being, adding more oil seemed to immediately fix the problem.)

I definitely plan to get this checked out soon, but I won't be able to do this for another few days. I guess at 97,500 miles, I should just do an entire timing belt kit replacement!?

Maybe I should check the timing belt ASAP before driving it to make sure it's OK and that the belt isn't stretched or frayed (looking through the viewing hole on the left side/taking off the timing cover on the right.)

Thanks!

The timing belt tensioner is isolated from the engine oil supply.

Yup - it's due! About right for mileage and into "overtime" for time. (I'd do belt, tensioner, idlers, water pump, thermostat, and plugs - also replace the serpentine belt since it has to come off to get the timing belt)

I'd just buy the parts and change everything out as it's due - at 75k miles a few months ago, the belt on mine definitely looked tired (they don't really "fray" per se - there was definitely wear on the teeth, though - idlers were still in decent condition (no real play) but the tensioner was definitely weeping fluid)

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

Just an update, I heard the noise again for a very brief moment after the car was driven for a while, but ONLY when I went in reverse, which now makes me wonder if the issue is the CVT (considering for my 2012 Subaru and I'm guessing other Subarus there was an extended 100k/10 year warranty issued.)

Yup - it's due! About right for mileage and into "overtime" for time. (I'd do belt, tensioner, idlers, water pump, thermostat, and plugs - also replace the serpentine belt since it has to come off to get the timing belt)

I'd just buy the parts and change everything out as it's due - at 75k miles a few months ago, the belt on mine definitely looked tired (they don't really "fray" per se - there was definitely wear on the teeth, though - idlers were still in decent condition (no real play) but the tensioner was definitely weeping fluid)

Thanks, will do!

Did you just purchase this Legacy? Could the rattle be the heat shields? My 2009 2.5i OB makes some valve train noises on start up especially on cold days. The noise has been present since I bought it with111k miles (I wonder if the valves need adjustment), I now have 146k miles. I research on teh forum it seem somewhat common.