LegacyGT.com

Loud road noise after tire change

I've recently replaced my tires with a set of Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 and there is so much road noise afterwards and I was wondering if anyone has noticed the same thing or if there is something else I should check on.

Tire noise is relative, what tires were you running before?

I went to the Pilot Sport AS4 this spring and love them. I don't feel the road noise or harshness is any worse than the Continental DWS I was running before, but the handling is noticeably improved, especially turn in.

Gary

I've recently replaced my tires with a set of Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 and there is so much road noise afterwards and I was wondering if anyone has noticed the same thing or if there is something else I should check on.

I cannot hear tire noise or anything else over my system and exhaust :lol::lol::spin:. could be a bad wheel bearing, Or rotate them and see if the noise moves.

Some tires are just noisy. I have a set of Pilot Sport AS3+ on the Supra, they're a bit on the louder side.

I have Azenis RT660s on my track car. Those are loud as f*ck.

I could suck start a snow blower.

I don't remember what I had on before but I remember that as soon as I got back into the car after the tire change, it was just so loud. I thought it was the diff at first but it would have blown by now if that was the case.

I had an alignment done in the last year so I never considered that to be the issue. I can put the car on jack stands and see if the noise persists if the wheels are no on the ground.

Good call guys, two bad wheel bearings in the rear were the cause. I searched on youtube for wheel bearing noise and it was fairly close to what I was hearing. I'm happy I'll regain some of my sanity when I drive it.

• 3 months later...
Good call guys, two bad wheel bearings in the rear were the cause. I searched on youtube for wheel bearing noise and it was fairly close to what I was hearing. I'm happy I'll regain some of my sanity when I drive it.

2010 LGT 105k miles. I'm in a similar situation with newish Micheln Pilot AS. The noise I hear is like off-road tires hum on pavement, it's subtle but repeatable at speeds 50-70mph, and not RPM dependent. Is this what you had or was it more like metal grinding noise/whine? I had the tires rotated and re-balanced which didn't change much, so it must be the bearing(s) as I don't think the higher-end Michelins would be noisy at just 5k on them. The noise is however is not what I had in mind how would a failing bearing sound.

EDIT:

Found this:

My sounds is similar to what you hear in the video when the car is on jacks, so I suppose it confirms it's the bearing.

Edited by Val Demar

2010 LGT 105k miles. I'm in a similar situation with newish Micheln Pilot AS. The noise I hear is like off-road tires hum on pavement, it's subtle but repeatable at speeds 50-70mph, and not RPM dependent. Is this what you had or was it more like metal grinding noise/whine? I had the tires rotated and re-balanced which didn't change much, so it must be the bearing(s) as I don't think the higher-end Michelins would be noisy at just 5k on them. The noise is however is not what I had in mind how would a failing bearing sound.

EDIT:

Found this:

My sounds is similar to what you hear in the video when the car is on jacks, so I suppose it confirms it's the bearing.

If you can ride in the back while someone drives your car, you can hear a lot from back there.

Jack up the rear and see if you can wiggle the rear tires.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here