LegacyGT.com

So My New '06 Wouldn't Start This Morning

hogmeat

I've had a few similar episode but back in August where the car just kept cranking and won't fire. The weather was not cold, more of a cool night. The only correlation I've noticed is that it happens when I try to start the car while holding down both clutch and brake. Miraculously, if I just hold down the clutch it would then fire right up.

I hope there is a better explination, cause I can't see how holding the brake pedal down will do that.

My 05 wgn did it this morning.

-18C....cranked no problem...but she no go.

Turned her off, back on and let the guages sweep and presto!

I dont get it....what gives? Is it a fuel pump / pressure thing?

C

One of the first things I noticed about my car (bought brand new in October) was that it didn't seem to crank very strong, compared to other cars I've had, almost like it had a weak battery. This is my first Japanese car, so didn't know if that's just the way they are, but I've often worried about it not starting on cold days. But so far it hasn't let me down.

My 99 Impreza RS cranked faster and more consistantly than my 05 Legacy - even after 6 years on the OEM battery.

I blame the undersized stock legacy battery...

Do DRL's come on while it's cranking? I'll have to check that at lunch. Maybe that will give me enough motivation to disable them.

Interestingly enough i had some 'hard starting' of my own, but it went away after the first 500 miles. and thats with a full fuel pump prime. I just attributed it to the computer still learning what the optimal cranking angle is (even though in every AFTERMARKET ECU i've ever installed, cranking timing is base timing, with a few degrees adjustment based upon coolant or air temp)

*shrugs* Let us know what happened. I also happened to notice the battery doesn't seem great, although i left my parking lights on for 40 minutes the other day in 20 degree weather and she fired right back up. *shrugs*

I had a similar run-in with cold weather to Hogmeat back in Dec...around -5 out. It sounded like it wasn't going to turn over for a couple seconds of cranking, but then it started. What concerned me wasn't the cold cranking sound (which indicates the battery really is undersized, cuz I have never had a problem starting in -10 to -20 weather in either my last Outback or my '85 Honda.), what concerned me was that horrible whining/screeching sounds that I got once it started up. It slowly faded away over the course of 20-30 seconds, but it sounded terrible...like metal cutting metal.

Havent' had any issues since, but it was sure unnerving.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Almost reminds me of the way i had to set up my ignitino on my mclaren motor. The sump takes awhile to pump oil up, so i put a simple pressure switch on the line going to the turbo that won't allow the ECM to see the crank trigger (in other words, no spark) until i'ts got the required 25 psi oil pressure. Seems to work well, especially with the new gear reduction starter i have installed in it. Either way, as long as you let the noises settle down and let the juices circulate a bit in the oven before slammin'er into gear, you should be okay.

FYI Even my '03 made some nasty clicking and whatnot, but i've not heard screaching from either of my cars yet.

• 9 months later...

I had that problem today, and that's why I've been searching for the past 2 hours here to see if someone else had this problem. Apparently, couple of ppl so far + myself.

Today wasn't cold, about 10-15C, and I always use mob1 syn. oil, premium gas, don't beat on the car, take a very good care of it. It's just over 1 yr old and has 22K km (not miles). Never had problems starting, last winter eaither. Car sits in garage, except at work it's sits on parking lot. Today at lunch it started fine, but at 5 o'clock (about 3-4 hrs later) had problems staring the car. It cranks but doesn't turn. Took about 5 tries and lastly I pressed gas while holding a key (cranking) and the car started. I wasn't low on gas, just filled up couple of days ago with premium (and always use shell v-power).

I guess just another reason to not buy Subaru again. But anyway, I'd like to know if anyone else had this problem.

It's 05 LGT.

Thanks.

Edit: wtf? I've been searching here for more then 2hrs now. Is this why I spent close to $50K on this car? I didn't spend this much time on boards for my (13 year) old car. :icon_mad:

WOW. my thread got bumped, but for a bad reason. I'm sorry to say I don't have any initial ideas - but where you perhaps driving it very hard on teh way to work? When I was doing some serious snow-doughnuts I accidently stalled it...and it wouldn't start for several key-on attempts. I accredited it to some kind of fuel cut (I mean, going sideways and spinning isn't natural...) and then a reset of the pump. Perhaps this could have something to do with it?
I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

Howdy folks. I bought my 2007 Legacy GT Wagon 5 days ago. Everything had been going fine, until I try to go to lunch today. I had the exact same symptoms. Turned the key and the car wouldn't start, but all the gauges started working. Tried this about 5 times until it finallly started. For a car that is 5 days old, this is totally unacceptable. It was a sunny Calfornian day in the mid 50's and I was full on gas. I dropped my car off at the Dealer after work (wouldn't start then either) and told them I might not be coming back to pick it up. This is my first Subaru and I can't say that I'm off to a good start. The car is great, when it runs, hahahahahah. I'll come back with the dealerships reply tomorrow. Have any of you found solutions to this problem?

gas lines, I was low on gas in vail and my gas light came on when we got to the hotel, next morning I had a 2 minute session of starting up and the weening sound occured then it started, its the lines freezing, or maybe somthing different

My 05 wgn did it this morning.

-18C....cranked no problem...but she no go.

Turned her off, back on and let the guages sweep and presto!

I dont get it....what gives? Is it a fuel pump / pressure thing?

C

you browned out the ecu during cranking and it probably decided to run the e-throttle diagnostics on you. my car did that lots last winter. once I ditched the stock battery and stuffed in an Optima the car started perfectly everytime.

• 2 years later...

Well, I guess I'm bringing this thread back from the dead again - So I just had the exact same thing happen on my 05 2.5i with 53k on it. It's about 20 out, haven't driven it for 2 days, was parked outside. Go to start it, it cranks fine, but no go, like it isn't getting fuel. I go through this serveral times, eventually it starts, runs a little rough for 30 seconds or less then it's fine. I put it in the garage after drving it for 2 minutes, changed a tire (long story) and started it back up no problem.

I see some corrosion on the battery terminals, so maybe this battery is going after 4 and some change years, or maybe i need to clean the terminals. If this happens again I'll try the pause to let the gauges sweep... here's hoping this is a one time thing, not fun.

legacys dont like to sit.. I let mine sit for a weak, I thought it wasnt going to start. When it finally did it was idling HORRIBLE like it was skipping or something.

It came around tho.

I just chock it up to one of the quirks of these cars. engineered for cold weather yet unable to cope with it..:lol::(

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

legacys dont like to sit.. I let mine sit for a weak, I thought it wasnt going to start. When it finally did it was idling HORRIBLE like it was skipping or something.

It came around tho.

I just chock it up to one of the quirks of these cars. engineered for cold weather yet unable to cope with it..:lol::(

Cars in general don't like to sit. My other car dies a little more every time I'm gone for college, and every vacation is a fun time prepping it back up to be started.

But this was 2 days! I have 2 other cars that sit for weeks or months between starts. But I guess the're reliable american cars ;) like an old dodge pickup and a vette. But seriously, there was somethign wrong here. This car starts perfectly every other time for years... hasn't reoccured, so it must just be an odd condition.

I'm thinking this...I've had my battery die on me overnight (clock resets, etc) and even though it cranks fine the next morning - it has to run through a drive-by-wire self check each time it has a 1st start from a no voltage condition. Perhaps this, or a self-fullfilling series of voltage dips from cranking cause it to get stuck in self test mode?
I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

I just got back from a 14-day Mexican cruise. I let my car sit in the driveway the whole time. Average temp while I was gone was 40F during the day and 35F at night. When I came home, I was prepared for a dead battery or difficulties starting but it fired right up like I had been driving it all week.

Yeah, my cars seem fine with 2-3 weeks sitting. I have two that get driven very infrequently, but 2 weeks is no problem.

Now my boss as a hybrid lexus that they tell him he has to drive every 3 days! He went away for a week and it was dead as a doornail

Archived