LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy GT won't start before and after fuel pump installation.

My beautiful and temperamental mistress, a 5MT 2005 Legacy GT decided she wanted to die right after refueling. My immediate thought was that the fuel pump had just failed, a seemingly easy fix. Well, after replacing the fuel pump, it is having the exact same problems and I am totally stumped as to why :confused:. The engine cranks, isn't damaged at all, and still doesn't get any fuel. Additionally, there was this green switch that was disconnected in the passenger foot well, so I thought that this was perhaps the catalyst of it all! Well no, because once I tried to start it again, it popped nearly eight codes that had not been present before. So I instinctually disconnected the battery to reset the computer followed by the disconnecting of the cursed aforementioned green connector. To where all but one codes were gone, what remained was a pesky P0183. After talking to my mechanic friend, we deduced it was a faulty connection in the fuel pump housing, somewhere. I'm just totally lost and have no clue as to what this could be, any help or guidance is appreciated, thanks!

Recent maintenance and part replacements include:

- New coil pack set

- New spark plugs; replaced by previous owner

- New DW65c high flow fuel pump

***Its worth noting, that I've only had this car for three weeks, one of them being broken down. I have put on an estimated 1,300 miles in my time of ownership - I don't know if this useful information, but I thought I'd include it.

P.S I leave for college in eight days so I'm starting to feel the true weight of this burden, so any help is appreciated greatly, thank you.

It sounds like you have a scanner. You could see if you have any input from any of your fuel systems while trying to crank the engine. Sometimes the front O2 sensor going out can cause a lot of weirdness without setting off any codes. You could also try cleaning out any connections for the fuel pump.

The green connector in the passenger footwell is for programing or flashing the ECU. Disconnect that. That is what you connect to update the ECU with Accessport or the tuner would do.

I would check my grounds back at the fueling system if I were you. Check for power to the fuel pump connector when you first turn the key to "ON" without cranking the starter. Also check the SBF-2 30A fuse in the main fuse box and the relay for the fuel pump. IIRC there is also a control box in the trunk area for the fuel pump as well. Someone else will chime in for some help as well I would bet.

It sounds like you have a scanner. You could see if you have any input from any of your fuel systems while trying to crank the engine. Sometimes the front O2 sensor going out can cause a lot of weirdness without setting off any codes. You could also try cleaning out any connections for the fuel pump.

I see, I'll be sure to give that a go. Is there a way to check the health of the o2 sensor? Thanks!

The green connector in the passenger footwell is for programing or flashing the ECU. Disconnect that. That is what you connect to update the ECU with Accessport or the tuner would do.

I would check my grounds back at the fueling system if I were you. Check for power to the fuel pump connector when you first turn the key to "ON" without cranking the starter. Also check the SBF-2 30A fuse in the main fuse box and the relay for the fuel pump. IIRC there is also a control box in the trunk area for the fuel pump as well. Someone else will chime in for some help as well I would bet.

The fuel pump relay is in the passenger side footwell, correct? That's actually what I was looking for when I found the cursed green connector that I have since learned is for tuning. Additionally, I have not heard about fuses in the trunk, can you point me in the right direction to find them? Thank you!

Fuel Pump relay B46, should be LH side in the door jam area.

R58 and R59 are the fuel gauge module and pump (R58) and Fuel gauge sub module. Trunk / fuel tank area. Follow the harness where the pump access is. Should be LH side.

Can you hear fuel pump running for a few seconds when the key is in ignition position but before you crank?

How do you know the engine is not getting any fuel?

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Check the FPR!!!

Fuel Pressure Regulator sounds like the culprit!

The car wasn't starting before and after the fuel pump, so it probably wasn't the pump, and your fpr took a shit and is not letting fuel past it. Its an easy fix.... change it! Some people use the simple fpr from an sti. Either way thats where I would start, pull the lines on both ends of the fpr, if fuel is getting to the fpr, but not the engine theres your problem!

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/install-04-07-sti-fuel-pressure-regulator-fpr-and-use-263825.html

This thread has pictures of what the fpr looks like and its location etc.

Edited by Tehnation

I had a crank no start a few years ago. The dealer said it was a cracked fuel pump housing, so they replaced the whole assembly which comes with a new pump, and $100 gasket. I remember there being a gas smell in the cabin when it happened, I thought it was because I had recently filled up a gas can at the gas station, but it was from the crack. I'm still confused as to why that caused the car to crank but not start, the loss of pressure I guess? But isn't the pump submerged? Of course I had just filled up my tank, and had only driven home when the problems started. I remember the tow guy saying he didn't hear the fuel pump kicking in when I turned the key on (as SubOperator said), he tried to troubleshoot before taking my car away, which was nice of him.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cracked-fuel-pump-housings-need-recall-259756.html