LegacyGT.com

Up-pipes - Cobb or OEM STI?

I'm in the process of gathering parts for a pro-tune.

Already got my custom VF52, CBE, cobb down pipe, cobb EBC, etc., etc.

The piece that I'm most torn about is the up-pipe.

My car is a 2006 OBXT, so catted uppipe.

I was leaning towards getting the cobb uppipe, but john (jmp turbo) suggested getting an OEM STI catless uppipe. he said they're cheap and they have a flex joint to make installation easier. He says that a lot of the aftermarket uppipes will fail because the welds break. I haven't been able to find one on eBay for less than about $150, which is getting closer to the cobb price.

What are your thoughts about which uppipe is arguably better?

I put a WTB add on NASIOC for an OEM one but no bites yet.

Having done this a couple times...get the STI pipe. It should last forever, not just a few years...

Any secrets on where get one that isn't rusty for cheap? eBay doesn't seem to be a very good deal on these.

Does this one look like a reasonable deal? Part of the welds are broken apparently:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303587526320?hash=item46af3a06b0:g:Qo8AAOSw6ndg7JhD

Edited by Mr. Electric Wizard

Any secrets on where get one that isn't rusty for cheap? eBay doesn't seem to be a very good deal on these.

Does this one look like a reasonable deal? Part of the welds are broken apparently:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303587526320?hash=item46af3a06b0:g:Qo8AAOSw6ndg7JhD

if the welds are broken...it seems like a great deal. Assuming you are a welder and the metal will hold the weld long enough. Guessing you're not, in which case, if it's not free; it's probably not worth the hassle.

What's wrong with buying an aftermarket? I buy stainless or inconel up only for $100-150.

Probably have a few I'll never use. I should put them up for sale.

if the welds are broken...it seems like a great deal. Assuming you are a welder and the metal will hold the weld long enough. Guessing you're not, in which case, if it's not free; it's probably not worth the hassle.

What's wrong with buying an aftermarket? I buy stainless or inconel up only for $100-150.

Probably have a few I'll never use. I should put them up for sale.

I can weld fine, I just don't own a welder. :lol:

I can weld fine, I just don't own a welder. :lol:

That statement is an oxymoron. Either yer a welder, meaning owning a welder; or yer not, not owning a welder. If you owned a welder and are posting on here about buying an item that requires welding with a welder you own, that suggests not enough skill to effect repair, thus not a welder. If yer posting here about buying an item requires welding using a welder you would have to rent or borrow; which implies not a welder because first point.

but I digress. You lack resources to fix yer potential ebay purchase which requires welding, and yer wondering if its a good deal. Personally, it's a great deal. Because you'll get a welder out of the deal. If yer welding really is fine, then you'll be able to pay for the welder's cost by reselling broken ebay parts needing welding. However, if by fine, you mean you can stick together 2 pieces of metal with other metal, perhaps yer better off combining the cost of the ebay part and a welder and buying a new part that was welded by an expert welder?

Cobb, Perrin, KillerB, Invidia, Grimmspeed, crawford, etc. All have been in business a long time and have sorted out their manufacturing processes. Any of them would be good.

/I have no excuse, except Breakfast with pancakes and bacon. My classmates have no idea what's coming today. Yer welcome. ymmv. I could have clicked the link but it doesn't matter (needs work, why bother?). caveat emptor.

Ha! You're funny.

I wouldn't say that I AM WELDER.

But..

I did a whole bunch of welding on my old VW Bus. I had it at a friend's place and used his welder. :lol:

Sometimes Im obnoxious....yer welcome.

Every welder I've met, as in owns a welder and is good with, doesn't ask anyone's opinion about whether to buy something that needs welding. They have already calculated the roi on the experience. So it's either being shipped or they have trashed the listing. I might need to find less ornery friends too. But welder...