LegacyGT.com

1999 legacy sus question...

Hello, I may be getting a 1999 legacy sedan sus 30th anniversary 2.5liter, automatic to repair...for free. 150,000, overheated. I'm a decent mechanic but horrible troubleshooter lol. I dont know alot about subarus but I have seen remarks here and there about good and bad motors, transmissions, etc. I would love some info on this car, like if it's a good one to save or not, good place to purchase gaskets, parts, etc. Do you think it is ok to drive for 30 miles home? No water in oil, was holding water idling to temp and then held temp for 20 minutes.

Thank you, appreciate your help and thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

The '99 SUS is the same power/drive train as the '99 Outback, which is covered online more commonly. Also, this is technically a 2nd Gen model with some 3rd Gen parts.

The 4EAT is quirky in this year - 'delayed engagement' was one of its issues.

It's also the year Subaru transitioned to the Phase 2 Blocks (and trans) and kept the Phase 1 heads and electronics (mostly) (READ THIS), which means it's kind of unique (not in a good way).

As long it does NOT overheat on the way home it's OK to drive, IMHO. But what happens w/the EJ25D engine is an INTERNAL HG leak, which mixes the oil and water and ruins the rod end bearings around the crank...if you drive it repeatedly and overheat it a couple of times.

Parts can be bought lots of places. OEM MLS/ Multi-layer steel HG are recommended.

If it's a mid-west/NE car, expect to deal with RUST on anything exposed to....the air.

Thank you for the info, very helpful! I was trying to upload a pic so this did not post yesterday. I did drive it home, it stayed under halfway...I assume in the normal ish position. Once at home and at idle it started rising so I shut it off. It is currently in pieces in my garage, my spring compressor and new straight edge on got delayed in the mail so now I wait. Heads go to the machinist next week to check for wear, cracks etc., surfacing as needed. Once I now it's good I'll order up gaskets and see what happens. the cylinders looked good, nice hatching still, and nothing looked burnt, worn etc. Head gaskets had some wear indicating leak spots, but I dont think it has overheated often. Cylinder one misfire code came up, I'm guessing from coolant getting into it.

Those '97-'99 EJ25D DOHC heads require adjustment (admittedly it's rarely done). I had one w/a Misfire - due to a burnt valve. Too late to do a Leak Down Test, but may want to pressure test (?) the heads b4 reinstall.

Thanks! The heads will get tested and valves/seats lapped sincec its apart...assuming there are no major issues. I've not dealt with burnt valves so not exactly sure the signs, but they all seam unifirm... will post pics when I have good service...at home it sucks lol.

• 1 month later...