LegacyGT.com

Clutch return spring?

Hi, so I'm preparing for a clutch job. I've got a Spec 2+ stage clutch kit, TOB/snout kit, and a Verus fork ready to be installed. Now, should I do a clutch return spring?

I see there's topics and DIY's but I'm just wondering everyone's opinion. Will I mess up the integrity of the fork? Is it even worth it? Doesn't seem like a difficult job, but thought I'd ask first.. Thanks!

I would just try to keep your foot off the clutch pedal for a prolonged amount of time, and don't rest your foot on the clutch pedal either (like I used to sometimes do, bad habit).

"In cases where the operator keeps a foot on the clutch pedal for extended periods, an increased amount of heat is generated which can cause the grease inside the bearing to deteriorate. In a case of prolonged clutch pedal application, seizure of the bearing can occur with potential damage to other related components. "

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10150949-9999.pdf

Edit: I don't think subaru has an updated bearing for the turbos oddly enough, but the info in the TSB still applies.

The spring is to keep slack out of the fork and prevent the bearing from riding on the clutch all the time. Mostly to prevent NVH.

You don't need a new spring if your current is still present.

There isn't a spring there. I don't really ride or hover over the pedal either. I used to keep the clutch in at red lights and stuff, but I'm getting out of that habit. I'm fairly easy on the clutch. I only push on it when I need to and keep my foot away when it's not being used, even in stop and go traffic. Pretty good with that, I was taught well early on in my driving career. lol

There should be a spring from the clutch release fork to a small bracket on the bellhousing that is part of the main ground wire.

It's not going to cause a catastrophic failure if it's missing, but it could cause NVH and pre-mature throwout bearing failure.

You also don't need the snout kit unless there is actual damage to the snout.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons