LegacyGT.com

Wiring harness redesign

boxkita

Is this tuning? I think so.

tldr; I want to make a minimal 4th gen wiring harness for the race wagon.

You were warned...

I'm finally in my last quarter of my Automotive Technology degree. I have one last class - Advanced Electrical. Because of covid, I'm a third year student in a two year program. So I'm already working at a dealership doing nothing that requires electrical expertise. The instructor has asked me to bring a project to class in return for accepting my dealership training as classwork.

The race wagon still sits in my shop, forlorn and neglected. One of my many projects for it, was to reduce the wiring harness to a bare minimum. Rather than strip the wagon down again, I removed the harness from fjuan's sedan (sorry). I'm using that harness, ecu, etc to create a new minimalist harness. i'll plug it back into the sedan to test before updating the wagon.

As my electrical/electronics knowledge is 30 years old at this point (fpga were new tech), I signed up for HP Academy's wiring courses during their recent anniversary sale. College class starts in a couple weeks. And I'm working on the dealership training for electrical as well. Kind a full immersion plan.

I havent the foggiest idea how to do all this, but I'd like to have a much cleaner engine bay than current when done. I know there are ppl on here with more skills than me. Feel free to chime in. If you have access to resources, I'm interested. Some of the tools & parts costs are eye-watering.

I finally got a working computer, so I'll load pics as I go.

I know I could contact a service and get this done without any hassle. But where's the fun in that? :)

Edited by boxkita

• 2 weeks later...

Sucks I am all the way across the country. I am an Avionics guy (aircraft electronics). I have been modifying, building, and repairing aircraft electrical systems since early 2002, and feel I have become somewhat proficient in it. I also did a Hot Rod wiring harness in an old muscle car when I was in the service.

If you have any questions or anything, reach out, I would be happy to help. As a note, I am NOT an engineer in any way shape or form, and I cannot help with color codes. Aircraft wiring is ALL white Teflon wiring with wire numbers stamped on.

Sucks I am all the way across the country. I am an Avionics guy (aircraft electronics). I have been modifying, building, and repairing aircraft electrical systems since early 2002, and feel I have become somewhat proficient in it. I also did a Hot Rod wiring harness in an old muscle car when I was in the service.

If you have any questions or anything, reach out, I would be happy to help. As a note, I am NOT an engineer in any way shape or form, and I cannot help with color codes. Aircraft wiring is ALL white Teflon wiring with wire numbers stamped on.

Wow! Thanks.

I'm not an engineer. I don't even play one on tv. I have a long-time hotrodder & master ase tech helping me. However, when I laid out the pile of wiring, he said the only way this would be harder is if I had to do it from scratch. Guess that's why it's called education :)

Wow! Thanks.

I'm not an engineer. I don't even play one on tv. I have a long-time hotrodder & master ase tech helping me. However, when I laid out the pile of wiring, he said the only way this would be harder is if I had to do it from scratch. Guess that's why it's called education :)

No problem! Funny... I would MUCH rather start from scratch than modify something existing!

I REALLY want to do a shaved and tucked engine bay, but I have to daily my LGT... I would wind up having it down for weeks if not months making it perfect.

I had this brilliant idea to reduce wiring footprint in the car. Just chasing the wires for engine harness connector is frying my brain. The wiring diagram is slowly making sense. The size of the task is sinking in. back to it...

found the tgv lines. fixing to cut everything, until I found the knock sensor wire. Its not scope creep if you add another sensor?

Edited by boxkita

• 4 weeks later...