LegacyGT.com

rear view mirror fell off

Yesterday, I went to drive the wagon...opened the door to be greeted by the rearview mirror hanging by its wires.

The day before was the first day I didn't open the windows during the heat. I had to bond the mirror back on a few years ago, may be 2017 (?). It's been a while. This is the 4th windshield in the car.

I do recall having to try a couple different adhesive kits back then. The second one was from NAPA, the Permatex Rearview Mirror Adhesive.

Today I went to NAPA and bought another one of those kits, $4.27

After removing the button from the mirror, I tried a few different ways to remove the old adhesive from it. Seemed the wire brush wheel on the air tool worked well. Clamped the button in the bench vise to hold it. I did use some 240 grit cloth to get a surface on it. Also used a box cutter blade to help remove some of the old stuff. But the air tools wire brush wheel did a good job.

On the windshield I tried a couple different things, IPA seemed to work well for the most of the old glue. But I finally Than I gave up and followed the directions...duh, got a single edge razor blade, that worked well.

Then used the kit's "cleaner/activator cloth and continued to follow the directions.

Took the car for a 20-mile test drive, mirrors still there even after doing a burnout in the driveway.

I'll have to remember to open the car windows on the hotter day's. I used to do that when the car was parked at work. I also parked it near the trees at work, so it was in the shade from about 1-2PM. At home, it's full sun most of the day's now.

I was just to lazy to open the windows that day because it was so hot and humid and chance of afternoon showers. I'll try and not let that happen again, the next heat wave.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Funny you mention this: a good friend of mine had exactly the same thing happen on his 06 Outback last week when it hit 116 here in PDX.

Any word on if a windshield reflector sunshade thing would help mitigate this problem?

Any word on if a windshield reflector sunshade thing would help mitigate this problem?

I always use them and while it still leaves the mirror mount exposed the temperature inside the cabin is much lower. With or without cracking the windows open.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I think a bigger gain for lower inside temps would be window tinting. My Spec has it, my wagon does not.

But the wagon is also not the OEM windshield.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I think a bigger gain for lower inside temps would be window tinting. My Spec has it, my wagon does not.

But the wagon is also not the OEM windshield.

Isn't your wagon black? that probably adds to it soaking heat. My first car was black and boy was it a heat sink.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K