LegacyGT.com

Anyone Downsize from Outback to Legacy

I have driven Outbacks for 10 years and am thinking of downsizing to a legacy. I have two big dogs which is my only consideration.

The reason for downsizing is the used market is crazy and I can sell my outback for $28,400 and pick up a limited legacy for $22,000, pocketing the difference and getting a warranty + less miles.

Outback is 3.6R limited with 51k miles and out of warranty

Legacy is 2.5 limited with 25k miles CPO

Thoughts? My plan is to keep it for a year or so until the car market corrects and buy a new SUV (non-outback).

Edited by broadway2018

I have driven Outbacks for 10 years and am thinking of downsizing to a legacy. I have two big dogs which is my only consideration.
I own both a 2015 Legacy and a 2016 Outback. I like them both, but they are different vehicles, optimized for somewhat different missions. The Outback is a roomy load hauler, and your "two big dogs" will probably not be happy in the back seat of a Legacy. There should not be any significant difference in operation and maintenance costs between the two, except for the higher fuel consumption of the 3.6. My advice is to keep what you have, especially if it's already paid for. Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Keep it. How big are your dogs? I have an 80lb German Shepherd and a 60lb Husky. Both did not like my Legacy. They got madder when I switched to a tiny BMW convertible. I'm back in an SUV now and they're happier except the Husky. She loved the convertible when she was in the front. She knew how to put the top down.

If you are planning on buying a new car in year or so, I wouldn't sell your Outback for a Legacy. You are going to have a some purchase transaction costs. Both vehicles should depreciate at a similar same rate.

If depreciation is 20% in one year. 20% of $28K is $5600, 20% of $22k is $4400. Is the purchase costs and fee less than $1200? I know in my state is isn't.

In a sense I did, but I don't have two big dogs. I actually went from a 2016 Outback to a 2017 BRZ to a 2018 Legacy. I won't go into all the motivations for this odd progression, but I essentially didn't like the way the Outback drove/handled, loved the BRZ but my bad back made it almost impossible to get into and out of at times, and settled on the Legacy because it addressed the bad back situation and drove like a car. Having recently driven a 2021 Outback loaner, I feel really good about where I ended up.