LegacyGT.com

Subaru's paint is weak

You guys weren't kidding that Subaru's paint sucks.

I worked on this Legacy today. The customer wanted a coating.

I have heard you guys talk about how weak these Subaru paint jobs are. They REALLY are!!

The paint is sooooo soft. There were little nicks on the stupidest of places (like on the top of the trunk). The good part is that the paint is very malleable and so it was easy to fix.

But the bad is that this paint is soo weak.

01.thumb.jpg.9ffbb3eb24b940cdd301c46f018b534c.jpg

oh yeah, it's trash--my 11 year old car needs a whole paint job at this point, what with clear coat failure and rock chips alllll over the place. heck, my front bumper may as well be white with all of the rock chips on it.

Yep pretty bad. Scratch chip and swirl galore!

I thought for a second you ended up with a 5th gen GT.

No, not yet. I need to set up a date to go see a few 4th and 5th gens. Especially now because the 5th gen interior in person is much nicer than I expected. lol

oh yeah, it's trash--my 11 year old car needs a whole paint job at this point, what with clear coat failure and rock chips alllll over the place. heck, my front bumper may as well be white with all of the rock chips on it.

I believe that! I was really surprised.

Unfortunately: yes. I am a pdr tech and most Subaru repairs rely on good access to the back of a panel. Any work that involves actual contact to the paint is more likely to fail.

We use a process called glue pulling for almost all roof rails and rocker panels. This process on Subaru paint usually pulls the clear off the paint.

Chrysler/ dodge paint is even worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@tony saurus

That's sad, isn't it? lol

I wouldn't know about Dodge/Chrysler. The last time I touched a Dodge like 15 years ago. And I ended up having the whole vehicle repainted. lol

Don’t, Subaru paint is better but for some reasons the dodge Chrysler paint still has almost zero bond with the metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk