LegacyGT.com

Good Year Assurance tires - good after 35K

... I also have to account for altitude issues ...
That should be a non-issue unless your driving spans big changes in elevation. Tire pressures are always set relative to ambient atmospheric pressure (not absolute pressure). If the placard on the door jamb says "33 psi," that is the proper gauge pressure to set, whether you are sea level or 8,000 feet. Driving in the mountains, tire pressure (i.e. gauge pressure) will increase ~1/2 psi for every 1,000 foot gain in elevation as you climb, but it will decrease at the same rate when you go back down to the starting point.

Example: If you set your tire pressures to 33/32 psig in Denver (elevation ~5,000 feet) and drive west on I-70, the gauge pressures will have increased ~3 psi (to ~36/35 psig) by the time you reach the Eisenhower Tunnel (elevation ~11,000 feet). (There will almost certainly be some additional pressure change due to tire heating/cooling as well, but I ignore that here.)

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

It will increase and decrease. However the temp arrive also plays a huge role. In the summer I just put 34 to 35 in the tires and leave them regardless of where I am going. However doing that is also cold pressure so by the tires are not twenty or so miles down the road that pressure has increased to 37 or 38. Once again a very personal preference as some people like to keep factory pressures and some do not.

If It is winter and I know the drive is going over a pass at 7k or above and ice and snow are going to be a factor I leave factory pressure cold and can bank on the better traction. Where it seems to get a bit oddball on pressures is when it gets into the negatives but I generally have zero issues at negative thirty since that’s a time I want lower pressures and a lot of traction due to black ice.

But that all being said when you alter the stock tire size in anyway the door sticker becomes a optional guideline.

• 4 months later...

switched from those crap OE goodyear's to bfg g-force comp 2 a/s plus one size up [235s]

wow what a difference - 1st monsoon rain I was in [wipers on high could barely keep eyesight working] on interstate at 75mph ... I could feel them grabbing thru the 1"+ of water on road :wub:

Hello, gentlemen. You seem to be doing everything right. Too bad I don't know much about tire fitting on cars. The thing is, I only use a motorcycle all the time. I have to use two-wheelers because of the hot weather in my country all year round. I love the feeling of a nice cool stream hitting you in the face. That feeling of the road, freedom, is like nothing else. However, that doesn't mean it's any easier for us motorcycle enthusiasts to live. Prices for parts and tires are also high and hard to find. In terms of motorcycle tires, though, things have gotten a lot easier. I'm used to ordering tires from online stores like sticky-stuff.co.uk. There are a lot of sites like that. But it's that I like for its huge range. You can find tires for any model of motorcycle there. Edited by evangood

switched from those crap OE goodyear's to bfg g-force comp 2 a/s plus one size up [235s]

wow what a difference - 1st monsoon rain I was in [wipers on high could barely keep eyesight working] on interstate at 75mph ... I could feel them grabbing thru the 1"+ of water on road :wub:

Yeah,

Those tires will grab alright. The tread is aggressive enough.

Car tires are my eternal headache. Fortunately, I have a friend who does this kind of work. I don't particularly appreciate matching tires to the size of the car and then installing them.

How is it that big of an issue. Its pretty standard. We cant have everyone in the world running 305's in the rear of their Legacys can we!:lol: