LegacyGT.com

McIntosh INFO REQUIRED ONLY

agctr

My knowledge of car audio is pretty limited so I ask these questions with a bit of naivety.

Can another head unit be bought that has an Aux-In into which the McIntosh unit's cable could be connected? The new head unit would then be connected to stock amplifier.

Are McIntosh's connections standard?

Would more battery power be required to drive both head units?

Or how about this?

Buy another amplifier that can accept multiple sources. Connect the McIntosh and new head unit to the new amplifier.

I don't have any details on the stock amplifier or speakers. Does anyone else have some info on those?

I'm also investigating options that are presented in www.mp3car.com

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

gwl

ps. There was no iPod in my Xmas stocking.

G'Day Every1 esp the Aussie boys now frequenting this site.......

Yeah look this is a real PITA to be honest, but we have what we have. If there was a solution it would no doubt be priced to the point where we would question if we really do need it. FM Mod looks like a good choice ATM. With the system being as good as it is said to be, maybe the FM Mod will just blend.... real suck and see situation to be honest.

Ada///M.

gwl... that is a real bitch that u didnt get the iPod but sure Santa put plenty of other nice things in for u to enjoy.

My knowledge of car audio is pretty limited so I ask these questions with a bit of naivety.

Can another head unit be bought that has an Aux-In into which the McIntosh unit's cable could be connected? The new head unit would then be connected to stock amplifier.

Are McIntosh's connections standard?

Would more battery power be required to drive both head units?

The McIntosh doesn't have aux outs to hook up to another hu. The signal from the Mcintosh HU to the std amp is not "standard" - ie not RCA or optic.

Or how about this?

Buy another amplifier that can accept multiple sources. Connect the McIntosh and new head unit to the new amplifier.

You can do this, but you will still need to buy a line output converter to hook up the std Mcintosh hu to the amp or find an amp(can't think of any that are on the market now) that will accpet speaker level input as well as rca (for the other hu)

So I gather again........ FM Modulator is the ONLY way to go ?

Ada///M.

Its not the "ONLY" way to go, but probably the easiest if all you want is to be able to hook up the Ipod to the std stereo system.

You could try and find out if there's a gizmo that would /could be hardwired - by spliceing / or using a 'Y' splitter on the input wires to the amp. There are so many gizmo's available for the ipod i'm sure that you could find something that would work.

Or another option is the take the Mcintosh HU to a stereo repair shop and see if they can mod it to accept an AUX in.

Archived