LegacyGT.com

Trailers?

on a forum about cars that can barely tow themselves, this is more curiousity.

we have a new to us 2013 jeep cherokee str8 with a tow hitch. supposedly it can tow 5000# with max hitch weight of 500#. Trailer we're looking at has a max weight rating of 4985 and hitch weight of 585#. Simple math says wtf.

trailer is fully solar powered and being towed by 6.4l gas guzzler. irony is not lost on me.

cargo carrying capacity of trailer including 400lbs of fresh water is 1025#. so, do I start stripping stuff out of trailer to lighten, get used to less stuff, or assume all those "gross" weight ratings have a safety factor builtin?

my nissan mini truck's max payload says 500#. The dump gave me a weight ticket that says its 1400#.

• 11 months later...

the jeep was sold because overheated towing trailer. we bot a new tacoma which towed it, @10mpg. Lived in trailer for a week in arizona. in interest of marital harmony, traded trailer in for a class c motor home. sold the tacoma to carmax for marp with 10k miles (how does that company make money). bought a 200k miles jeep liberty for 6 weeks. sold the jeep at cost when we left arizona. drove motorhome home. wrx was totaled by a speeder a month ago, so we replaced it with a turbo jeep cherokee. we no longer care if a jeep will tow but do care that the jeep can be towed by the motor home.

bought and sold something like $250k of vehicles in 18 months. retirement is awesome. I'm shopping jobs . retirement sucks.

Yeah I was just browsing at some point. I was looking for a "The other vehicles" thread but didn't see much in that way. Maybe I'll start one....

Good and sorry to hear about the vehicle flippy floppy. Good luck with the job hunt Kita.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Speaking of 6.4L guzzlers.....with our '20 Flagstaff 27BHWS. Trailer is about 32' tongue to bumper. I wouldn't go any bigger in a bumper pull. Next up 5th wheel but that would call for a diesel and I'm not into that crapshow right now. 29f501e3b29b467e606fb258d793da8d.jpg

We've been to various rv shows and dealers over the last decade. Wife has certain requirements for "camping", so finding something suitable here has been an involved process.

The rig we bought is 30' overall. With two slides, its a comfortable camp. The 1500 mile drive home through Nevada & Idaho was nice. Going to take some short trips this summer to figure out upgrades then head out to the factory to get them fixed.

media.jpg?size=414x575&nocrop=1

Nice^^^

When the pandemic set in we were already looking to upgrade the older TT. We waited just long enough that we weren't able to shop aside from a small local dealer as most shut down to the public. I do wish we would have been able to see other layouts. Our trailer is nice and works but there are things I would like different. We also bought just before prices went through the roof that was a good thing.

Pre-pandemic prices for a navion (wife's desired rig) were 60-90k depending on seller's desperation levels. We weren't ready.

Last year, we were ready. Used Navion market had dried up and new ones were a year out and pushing 200k even if you could find a dealer willing to order one.

Early January this year, rigs were starting to dribble in. But selection was still small. In the week it took to sort out paperwork, our dealership sold every rig they had under 30'. When we left two months later, they were still sold out.

Glad to be out of the "looking" stage and into the "camping" stage.

Retired?! Your retired already? Nice! Also attempting to jump into the camper game but going Sprinter style as we want a smaller footprint. Taking delivery of a raw Sprinter 3500 144 in July. Getting it spec’d with a super single rear tire set up instead of the typical dally set up. With the Aluminum car hauler trailer I bought from Kip I can finally tow to the track now. It will go directly to my buddies Sprinter build out company, Kestrel Vans, in Whitefish, Montana for a few months for the build. Hope to get it back here in Bend before winter roads get bad.

Pre-pandemic prices for a navion (wife's desired rig) were 60-90k depending on seller's desperation levels. We weren't ready.

Last year, we were ready. Used Navion market had dried up and new ones were a year out and pushing 200k even if you could find a dealer willing to order one.

Early January this year, rigs were starting to dribble in. But selection was still small. In the week it took to sort out paperwork, our dealership sold every rig they had under 30'. When we left two months later, they were still sold out.

Glad to be out of the "looking" stage and into the "camping" stage.

Retired?! Your retired already? Nice! Also attempting to jump into the camper game but going Sprinter style as we want a smaller footprint. Taking delivery of a raw Sprinter 3500 144 in July. Getting it spec’d with a super single rear tire set up instead of the typical dally set up. With the Aluminum car hauler trailer I bought from Kip I can finally tow to the track now. It will go directly to my buddies Sprinter build out company, Kestrel Vans, in Whitefish, Montana for a few months for the build. Hope to get it back here in Bend before winter roads get bad.

2019 was my last official year. Working at the dealerships last year was more of a lark than anything.

I wanted a van conversion. Wife wanted amenities. Then she gifted me 2 full-grown huskies. That was the end of van project.

For yours, get a solar upgrade. Relying on propane for things sucks at the worst times.

• 7 months later...