LegacyGT.com

Possible to stop/reduce input shaft bearing noise?

Hi all,

I think I may have a bad input shaft bearing. It makes a rattling sound which only stops when I press the clutch in. Does anyone know if there's a way that I can stop or reduce the noise temporarily until I can get it fixed? I don't have a whole lot of knowledge in this area but would a thicker trans fluid help?

Edited by StormB

Hi all,

I think I may have a bad input shaft bearing. It makes a rattling sound which only stops when I press the clutch in. Does anyone know if there's a way that I can stop or reduce the noise temporarily until I can get it fixed? I don't have a whole lot of knowledge in this area but would a thicker trans fluid help?

Sounds like it may be that your TOB is shot and continued use may damage the snout. If corrected early enough, an oversized TOB and snout repair sleeve is possible. Eventually it can damage snout beyond repair. This is just my opinion, hopefully some of the more knowledgeable members will post up for you

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

Sounds like it may be that your TOB is shot and continued use may damage the snout. If corrected early enough, an oversized TOB and snout repair sleeve is possible. Eventually it can damage snout beyond repair. This is just my opinion, hopefully some of the more knowledgeable members will post up for you

Awesome thanks for the info, do you know if there's a way to check whether it's the TOB or ISB? Some people think its the ISB and others think it's the TOB so I'm unsure which info to go off but the clutch was replaced by the previous owner about 2 years ago and I also read that a bad TOB only makes noise when the clutch is pressed, the noise I'm hearing only sounds when the clutch is not engaged so I thought it was more possible that it's the ISB.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Let's think about this,

The clutch disc is splined to the tranny input shaft.

In neutral, foot off the clutch pedal, the clutch disc is not spinning as the input shaft is free to stop spinning with the crankshaft, remember the pilot bearing supports the front of the input shaft.

The Pressure plate is bolted to the flywheel and always spins when the engine is running.

With your foot off the clutch pedal the PP is putting pressure in the clutch disc forcing it to spin the input shaft.

The TOB is not spinning at that time.

So when you push on the clutch pedal which forces the TOB to release the clamping pressure on the clutch disc allowing the input shaft to stop spinning.

I don't know if the cocktail of tranny fluid, look up "uncle scotty's cocktail"

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Let's think about this,

In neutral, foot off the clutch pedal, the clutch disc is not spinning as the input shaft is free to stop spinning with the crankshaft, remember the pilot bearing supports the front of the input shaft.

The Pressure plate is bolted to the flywheel and always spins when the engine is running.

With your foot off the clutch pedal the PP is putting pressure in the clutch disc forcing it to spin the input shaft.

So when you push on the clutch pedal which forces the TOB to release the clamping pressure on the clutch disc allowing the input shaft to stop spinning.

I think I'm following. So, not the TOB?

Let's think about this,

So which part do you think it could be? I think I forgot to mention that the rattling noise also happens when sitting in neutral with no clutch. Also thanks I'll look into that transmission fluid now [emoji106]

Could also be that some gear is missing a tooth or part of it etc. When foot off the clutch, input shaft and gears are rotating with engine, so if there is something broken it will make a noise.

I heard that "lucas transmission fix" additive will help with a worn out transmission and reduce bearing noise. It says on the bottle that it can be used for all auto transmissions and light duty manual transmissions that require ATF (Auto transmission fluid) gear oil. Does anyone know if I can use this in my manual transmission 03 legacy?

If the noise stops when you push in the clutch pedal, then yes the input bearing needs replacing.

Go out to the car, start the engine...think about what is happening...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here