LegacyGT.com

roof molding?

Not sure about other cars, but the roof molding on my car is looking kinda rough - I have tried to be good about treating it, but the coating on it is cracking and when i put stuff on it, it fades back to whitish grey in short order... I have thought about replacing it (it's like $35 a side) but I don't know how awful it is to remove (there's a blind rivet in the front, and a bunch of clips along the length)

I just tried using cerakote trim coat on it and it looks pretty good (still lots of little cracks in the black coating, but it's dark black now, and this stuff is supposed to be pretty resilient)

Anyway - curious if anyone else has dealt with this (the sun is pretty intense here in NM, so I am guessing that's the cause)

I've had to replace mine once already, and it cracks within 1-2 years in California weather. I might replace it again, but wrap it with vinyl before installing.

If I remember correctly, you might need a tool/screw driver (with painter tape wrapped around it) to release the clips. I did break one of them, so it might be a good idea to have a few spare just in case. Let me see if I can find the PN.

If you put new ones on, just keep them treated with 303 Aerospace. That stuff is magic.

I was just thinking how in the NE we never have to worry about rubber bits deteriorating/cracking. The metal bits just dissolve instead.

If you put new ones on, just keep them treated with 303 Aerospace. That stuff is magic.

I was just thinking how in the NE we never have to worry about rubber bits deteriorating/cracking. The metal bits just dissolve instead.

That's literally what I do - I love 303 because it protects, but doesn't look all oily/shiny like some other products. I use it inside and on plastic outside, but after a decade in the NM sun, the coating is riddled with little cracks and gets all chalky within a few weeks of treating it. The cerakote stuff is more of a permanent coating (sort of looks like you put a clearcoat on it) so it will probably last quite some time - we shall see! if it starts flaking, I'll probably pull and replace the parts. It's shinier than I like, but I like it being black and a little shiny than chalky and grey, so it will work for now!

The info on breakage rate of the clips is great - thanks - I was wondering how many I would need (since there are six clips at $5/ea on each side, plus a rivet thing in the front, plus the trim) - probably what I will do if the coating fails is buy the two trim pieces and a half dozen clips. (the service manual says you lift the trim up, then use a screwdriver to move the clips forward to remove them)

• 5 months later...

Well - the cerakote works great right until it's hot out and you wash the car, apparently - I think the thermal shock associated with cold water on the car when it's hot resulted in the coating flaking off (my thought as a materials person wound be the CTE mismatch between the ceraminc loaded coating and the rubber layer on the roof molding is substantial...

Anyway - I just went ahead and replaced them - it looks so much nicer! I did cerakote on the cowling which was getting pretty sad looking so we'll see how that does. (both times, I made sure to clean everything really well - first with soap, then rinsing and following with IPA until the towel came back clean. Pulled the wiper arms to get better access (well, easier access) - looks great, so we'll see how it does!

thumbs up on the OEM replacement of the molding, though!