LegacyGT.com

Shocks/struts for soft ride over bumps?

My Legacy 2.5i Premium has 130k miles on it and seems to be a little harsher over bumps these days, even with soft Michelin tires. Not terrible but not Mercedes smooth like when it was new (ha). What are your recommendations (and part numbers) for shocks/struts that would give me the softest ride over bumps or rough road? Or should I just stick with OEM?

Are they easy to replace?

I put some Bilsteins on my Ford Ranger and they really softened it up over bumps. Definitely were worth the added cost. Rented a Jeep Gladiator the other day and it was smoother over rough road than my Subaru for being a pickup truck. Just seems the Subaru used to be like that when new so I assume it just needs new shocks.

What you call harshness is lack of damping from worn struts. Most here would consider the struts on the '10-12 Legacy to be extremely under dampened even when new.

Just get new KYB struts from RockAuto. I would also recommend new front mounts. You can reuse all the other parts from the current struts. As far as how difficult the job is, that's all relative to your ability and tools available.