LegacyGT.com

Car overheating help!

Hello i have an issue w my legacy 2008. Recently i just changed the headgaskets on them bc i was getting compression gasses in the radiator and it was overheating. But after i changed the gaskets its still overheating. No compressipn gasses tho. It mainly only overheats while in idle I was watching it bleed and when i gassed it the coolant would go right down and the meter would go down to normal. Idk if theres some sort of clog. Ive already ordered a water pump for it. And im.also getting smoke coming from the exhaust manifold.

Some easy things to check

First, the all-round cap (I think it has the higher rating)goes on the radiator itself. The tabbed and lower rated cap goes on the turbo coolant reservoir.

Second, if your system is burped and sealed and you're still getting bubbles in the overflow, you could have a pinhole leak in the head gasket or similar, which is letting air or gasses into the cooling system. A telltale sign of that would be coolant overflow or bubbles in the overflow tank after sustained boost.

Good luck

just to clarify, this post is correct ^

The coolant reservoir by the turbo should have pressure rating of 108kpa, while the radiator itself has a rating of 137kpa (round cap). You want the top point to have the lower pressure rating as designed.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/coolant-system-bleeding-p5351122.html

Turbo guys should be able to provide more help. It sounds like you want to bleed the system from the turbo reservoir since that's the highest point in the cooling system

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cooling-filling-question-205159.html

Also, I don't think this will cause your issue, but when replacing your water pump make sure the thermostat jiggle pin is at the 12 o'clock position.

jiggle.jpg.b1f3a13d80359b39886a62ad8283d51a.jpg