LegacyGT.com

2005 legacy GT Tire question

NYsFinest

Just check the diameter. If you are a performance enthusiast, a bigger diameter (and tire weight) is counterproductive.

OTOH, I have noticed that the stock RE92s give a 2% high reading on the speedo and odometer. I got 225/45/17 Hankook Icebears for the winter, which are a 25" diameter, versus a 24.6" diameter for the RE92s (per the Tire Rack spec sheets). These should get me back to near a perfect speedo/odo reading.

FWIW, I was cosidering 205/50/17 for new winter tires, to get a narrower footprint, but the deal on the Hankooks won me over.

Ron

Is it common to get a bubble in the tire? And how do you know when one arises?

You'll see the bubble in the sidewall of the tire. It's had to miss, unless it's on the inside sidewall.

If you choose to go with a 225 wide tire, keep in mind that a narrower tire will perform better in the rain, snow and ice. The wider tire will perform better when it's dry out.

You'll see the bubble in the sidewall of the tire. It's had to miss, unless it's on the inside sidewall.

If you choose to go with a 225 wide tire, keep in mind that a narrower tire will perform better in the rain, snow and ice. The wider tire will perform better when it's dry out.

To a point. A better-quality 215/45/17 will outperform a 225 tire anytime. Even with all else being equal, if the 215 tire is lighter in weight, it's better than a 225. Just gong to a wider tire is not always the best. I feel that my 215/45/17 Micheln Pilot Exalto PE2s on 7.5x17" Rota rims perform VERY well. The steering response on a correctly-matched tire-rim width works the best. 225 tires are margnal (from a handling standpoint) on 7" wide rims.

Ron

I'd be more interested in the Pirelli's if they did better in the snow, otherwise they are awesome. Michlien Pilot A/S are great, but pricey, if price was no object I would get them. Now it is between the Conit's and the Avon's and I'm sure I'll find a few other to consider.

A honda civic cut me off today causing me to have to veer onto a curb, scraping my rim. I'm very pissed off right now. Should I use this as an excuse to replace all 4 rims w/ some nice black ones from tirerack on top of new winter tires?

Just mention tires and people will go off on the re-92's. I still have them on my 2k mile "new" car but because of all the negative feedback on these forums, I get constant reassurance that they stink! They do feel mushy in the turns but is that the sidewalls or the soft susp?

~S

Soft sidewalls.

If you crank up the tire pressures to 39 front, 37 rear, they'll firm up and give you much better turn-in. Traction in adverse weather maybe reduced.

As long the warm tire pressure is under 50psi you should be fine, just maintain that 2 psi difference with a higher pressure infront.

I keed I keeed

Blizzak LM-25 or Blizzak WS-50? I can't decide, argh!

I went through that debate before finding a deal on the used Hankook Icebear W300s.....

I had decided on the WS-50s, as they are better in the snow (per the Bridgestone stats), and I figured that was the reason that I wanted winter tires and would sacrifice dry performance.

Ron

Tirerack offers a road hazard warranty, anyone get this when getting their tires?

I always get it.

Remember that any damage to the sidewall of a radial tire means the tire is junk. This is anythng that is off the tread. We haven't had many flats over the last 15 years, but most of them have been damage just above the tread, and the tire can't be repaired.

I virtually never buy warranties for other stuff, but I do for tires,and it has paid off.

Ron

These two rims I'm gunning for w/ the snow tire, not sure if there is a difference between one has a logo and one doesn't, price is the same, your opinion?

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/DisplayWheel.jsp?wheelMake=ASA&wheelModel=JH8&wheelFinish=Black+w%2FMach+Lip

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/DisplayWheel.jsp?wheelMake=Kazera&wheelModel=KZ-A+Dual+PCD&wheelFinish=Flat+Black+w%2FMach+Lip

These two rims I'm gunning for w/ the snow tire, not sure if there is a difference between one has a logo and one doesn't, price is the same, your opinion?

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/DisplayWheel.jsp?wheelMake=ASA&wheelModel=JH8&wheelFinish=Black+w%2FMach+Lip

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/DisplayWheel.jsp?wheelMake=Kazera&wheelModel=KZ-A+Dual+PCD&wheelFinish=Flat+Black+w%2FMach+Lip

Tossup.

I would go: (1) Cheapest, then (2) Lightest

Actually, I would do neither. I would use the stock rims for the winter tires, then get a nice set of rims for the summer. the summer rims should be (1) lighter and (2) wider.

Ron

Tossup.

I would go: (1) Cheapest, then (2) Lightest

Actually, I would do neither. I would use the stock rims for the winter tires, then get a nice set of rims for the summer. the summer rims should be (1) lighter and (2) wider.

The thing is one of my rims is scraped, and it annoys the crap out of me. LOL.

The thing is one of my rims is scraped, and it annoys the crap out of me. LOL.

So is one of mine plus a couple of others have scrapes from other stuff on the jobsites.

That's "exactly" why I want them on in the winter!! I want the "good rims" on in the summer when the car looks good, not when it looks like it does today (and this isn't as bad as it was last week!!)

624573889_SaltShot12-7-2005.thumb.jpg.448ca786d742e664c80428a4ec03c9a6.jpg

Ron

I am somewhat of a tire size noob, but have checked out the stickies.

So what exactly would I give up if I went with the 225 size? I understand its wider, and dry traction should be better, while wet might be a little worse. Is there any reason not to go to this size fitment wise?

Thanks...

Yes, don't go there. 7" rims are not optimal for a 225 tire. You will spend more, and it will gain ZERO for handlng. Plus, the tire will be heavier, which hurts performance and mileage.

Ron

thanks, so is our oem size a weird one? Why doesnt michelin make one in our size?

OEM size is not weird. Aftermarket tires are made in the most popular sizes that fit a wider range of cars. Michelin makes them in 215/45/17, (like in my summer Pilot Exalto PE2s) but not in every tire.

Ron

Archived