LegacyGT.com

2009 Outback Harman Kardon sub blown?

SSpeed

I have a 2009 Outback with the Harman Kardon sub in the rear cargo area. I've been searching like crazy on here and subaruoutback.org, but not a lot of detail on the Outback version of the sub, or at least I can't find it. I see a lot for the Legacy rear deck sub.

When I bought the car, two door speakers were blown. I replaced them with Subaru OEMs from ebay, they work fine now. The rear sub rattles now like it's blown. Don't know if I did that with a new headunit or if it was blown before.

I see a lot of threads on it's 2 ohm, but then some say 4 ohm, I see some sizes and mounting depths, but they seem to be for Legacy rear deck. Anyone have any Outback specific info before I tear into this? I guess it could be interior panel rattling, but it sounds like the sub itself.

• 3 weeks later...
My 09 OBXT also had a sub rattle when I got it last year. Pulled the sub expecting to see it blown and found it in perfect working order. I ended up stuffing some fiber-fill material in the cavity and added a non-drying putty (kinda like sticky-tack) in between the speaker mounting tabs and it's mount location in the car to help isolate it from the sheet metal. The rattle went away. Sub still sounds a bit more muddy than I like but still an improvement over how it was.

Thanks for the reply, I think that's the same problem I have. I noticed someone had tried to pull the grill at one time. That seemed to be a big part of the rattle.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, to add more of my experience to this, I replaced my problematic head unit with a properly functioning OEM and now the rest of the stereo sounds a bit better, except the sub which is rattling again. It sounds terribly muddy so I'm replacing it. Several past threads mention an improvement with Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 which is no longer available (don't believe vivid racing, tried it and got refunded). I searched for a couple days to find another shallow mount 2 ohm 8" sub and didn't have much luck. I finally stumbled on a lightly used TS-SW2002D2 for a fair price so I'm taking a chance on it. Should have it next week.