LegacyGT.com

Couldn't leave well enough alone... Hoping for turbo housing thoughts

Hello,

I am looking for a bit of advice on how to proceed. It all began when I removed my turbo while doing uppipe/downpipe. Turbo was fine other than having 120k miles on it. Me being me I couldn't just put it back in, I went ahead and bought a new center cartridge, figured it would be fun to freshen up my turbo a bit.

I ended up destroying my housing trying to drill out the screw holding the coolant line to the compressor housing, the one in the right of the photo below"

20210406_235642.thumb.jpg.3c88e95f999de133041063b1f7db30ff.jpg

Ok, so I need a new compressor housing. Easier said than done. I got a turbo out of a junkyard yesterday only to find out the compressor turbine ran into the compressor inlet pretty good. I am trying to get another from a user on these forums but from what he has said his might be in similar shape, waiting to hear back. I have included a pic below of the compressor turbine from the junk yard.

593316756_20210411_192059(2).thumb.jpg.46556296e0622f86aae45b116936ac28.jpg

Does anyone have experience with re-using damaged compressor housings? Is this sort of damage ok or will it noticeably affect the ability to hit boost pressures?

I now regret not just putting my turbo back in as-is or ponying up and getting a fresh rebuild. By the time this is said and done I am going to have spent more money than it would have been to have just bought a rebuild. Ah well, learning is cool.

May be JmP6889928 will chime in later today...

I'll be nice and not say anything else...

Can you get us a picture of how your housing looks currently ? How bad could you have messed up drilling that head off ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

May be JmP6889928 will chime in later today...

I'll be nice and not say anything else...

Can you get us a picture of how your housing looks currently ? How bad could you have messed up drilling that head off ?

HAH! How bad could I have messed up? About as bad as you can imagine. My drill slipped off the shaft (shank?) of the screw after the head was gone. With the pressure I was applying to the drill it went through the compressor housing like a hot knife through butter. It was a pretty instant "oh crap" moment. I'll try and get some pics when I get home. I can only imagine what you might have said if you weren't being nice. I kind of screwed this little thing up and turned it into a bigger thing .... my OCD combined with my impatience to get things back together didn't serve me well.

Think I've got another housing sourced though - nothing money can't fix. By the time I get my car back together I am going to have quite the assortment of VF40 parts. :eek:

Edited by bubbagump

That's what I was thinking happened. I had no idea the housing was that thin in that area.

I seem to recall sending my old vf40 parts off to JmP years ago because I had no use for them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here