LegacyGT.com

What rear catalytic converter fits?????

So the rear mounting flanges on the rear cat where it meets the exhaust at the Doughnut gasket cracked off on me the other day.

I called Autozone and ordered what they told me was a Direct Fit Magnaflow rear cat. Direct fit my ass, the hanger is hitting the trans pan, the main pipe is bent way off course and the cat is welded in several inches further up the pipe.

Initial investigation seems to show this to be for a Manual Transmission car. Maganflow and well basically every other company do not specify Transmission type. Per Vin this it is a Federal non-CARB car so I can get the 49state stuff but fitment is the big issue.

Who here has replaced this cat with an aftermarket one and had it actually fit an 2005 5EAT equipped GT Limited. Car is up on jack stands stranded in my garage and I can't haul groceries home on the motorcycle so time is critical here.

Anyone who's got any info it is greatly appreciated! Note: If I'm stuck with OEM, I with sooner donate the car for a tax rebate than buy a $2000 that would essentially total the car. Thanks!

Yeah the aftermarket 3"downpipe is what a lots of us have done years ago. But you will need Cobb AP for it and flash stage 2 tune.

It may be difficult to get the OEM Dp off the turbo, it being on there all these years.

On the plus side, the OEM Dp is worth about $1000 at a catalytic convertor recyclers near you. I searched google for a place and last Sept got $1800 for two OEM downpipes.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You may want to pull your up pipe, yeah, it's more work, but you will want to knock the cat out of it and remove the egt probe. Some guys buy a STI OEM up pipe off NASIOC.

This can become a rabbit hole, if your not careful.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

So, I recently went through the process of ordering and receiving a downpipe. Haven't yet installed - I got side tracked with oil pan, etc. Anyhow, you may have already found this out yourself but it is currently very hard to find an Invidia in stock. I called a few places that claimed (or at least appeared) to have it in stock or soon to ship online. All of them were backordered, months. One place (autocity imports) was very curious to see if I could find it anywhere.

I ended up going COBB just because of availability. It is more expensive, and I am not sure if it's any better or worse. One VERY interesting thing though regarding the COBB - The catalytic converter shown in the picture on their website shows an EPA certified model from GSPORT. Based on claimed specs, I believe it would be PN50030 at link below:

https://gsportbygesi.com/high-performance-catalytic-converters/g-sport-emissions-systems-products/

When I received the COBB downpipe I was pretty angry/disappointed to find the cat welded into the pipe was not the one shown in the pics. I was really hoping for at least an EPA cert ... could make convincing a mechanic to give me inspection a bit easier. It appears to be a non-certified model.

HOWEVER !! - and this is a big however, I talked to COBB customer service because I felt done wrong. Was happy to find out the rep was really knowledgeable on the subject. He says the model I received is in fact not EPA cert, but it is a new part they jointly developed with GSPORT that they soon hope to have full CARB cert on! Man, if they achieve this I will be happy as a clam. Claimed time from to cert could be "months".

Long story short - I am happy with my COBB even if it was a bit more than Invidia, I think.

So, I recently went through the process of ordering and receiving a downpipe. Haven't yet installed - I got side tracked with oil pan, etc. Anyhow, you may have already found this out yourself but it is currently very hard to find an Invidia in stock. I called a few places that claimed (or at least appeared) to have it in stock or soon to ship online. All of them were backordered, months. One place (autocity imports) was very curious to see if I could find it anywhere.

I ended up going COBB just because of availability. It is more expensive, and I am not sure if it's any better or worse. One VERY interesting thing though regarding the COBB - The catalytic converter shown in the picture on their website shows an EPA certified model from GSPORT. Based on claimed specs, I believe it would be PN50030 at link below:

https://gsportbygesi.com/high-performance-catalytic-converters/g-sport-emissions-systems-products/

When I received the COBB downpipe I was pretty angry/disappointed to find the cat welded into the pipe was not the one shown in the pics. I was really hoping for at least an EPA cert ... could make convincing a mechanic to give me inspection a bit easier. It appears to be a non-certified model.

HOWEVER !! - and this is a big however, I talked to COBB customer service because I felt done wrong. Was happy to find out the rep was really knowledgeable on the subject. He says the model I received is in fact not EPA cert, but it is a new part they jointly developed with GSPORT that they soon hope to have full CARB cert on! Man, if they achieve this I will be happy as a clam. Claimed time from to cert could be "months".

Long story short - I am happy with my COBB even if it was a bit more than Invidia, I think.

I understand your frustration. Though we don't have smog, I was having guilt. Was running a catless Invidia downpipe and popped in a GESi GSport, had it welded in. Would recommend.

My thought on the Invidia being out of stock, is the fact it seems the material used to make the cat has had a large increase in price...?