LegacyGT.com

Factory oil cooler

I've realized after looking through the online OE catalog that the previous owner removed the factory oil cooler along with the hard line that ran over to the water pump. Currently there's just a rubber hose from the block nipple running directly over to the water pump housing nipple. In searching I couldn't find any recent posts but I am curious as to speculation of why it may have been removed in the first place.

Should I replace with all new OE, look for aftermarket, or is it ok to leave it as is?

Adding to the equation is in a few weeks I'll finally have weather and time to install my upgrades so I'd like to be sure.

JMP VF52

COBB UP

Invida Catted DP

Cobb CAI and inlet.

IAG Air-Oil Separator

Cobb AP

Thank you, and happy spring :)

Newer cars 07 or 08+ don't have an oil cooler. I'd bet the previous owner replaced a motor and didn't want to shell out the cash for a new cooler, so deleted it

That's a good guess, the motor was indeed replaced around 170k. So even though the web catalog shows the cooler assembly in the newer model cars, they weren't shipping with it?

Just took a peek, and it looks like the LGT parts diagrams show the oil cooler. I've had a few 08+ WRXs in the shop that didn't have the cooler on the EJ255 with the D25 heads, and it looks like those parts diagrams don't have the cooler listed. I figured the same year Legacy wouldn't have a cooler either, but haven't seen one in person. Can't recall if the wife's OBXT had a cooler on the original motor either.

In any case, they're definitely not present on the EJ255 from the factory, so I don't think there's an absolute need unless you're running the car very hard for extended periods. In that case, an aftermarket oil cooler may be the better way to go anyhow.

Are you speaking of an external oil cooler? My 07 LGT has an oil cooler which is mounted to the block and the oil filter attaches to it. It's a heat exchanger set up which uses coolant to cool the oil. Do you need one? I'm in the middle of parting mine out and can get to it pretty quick. Send me a PM if you need it.

These guys are less of an "oil cooler" and more of a temperature normalizer. In cold climates they help warm the oil sooner since the water gets to temp sooner than the oil, and in warm climates they do help remove excess heat from the oil. So it has two jobs calling just a cooler is leaving out one of its most important jobs. Same can be said about the coolant passage in the throttle body, that is mostly a warming device to prevent icing in extreme cold. Most people plug it off down south, but it is prob very useful in the upper states and Canada.

Thanks all for the knowledgeable replies. Sounds like for now I'll probably be fine to leave it off for the time being seeing that I'm trying to keep the car garaged and off the roads through winters, but down the line will probably look for a replacement anyways.

its other usage is to hold all the fine metal parts (bearings and piston fragments) so they can be released into your new shortblock. Which why many engine builders require proof of purchase of a new oem oil cooler before they will warranty a shortblock.

An interesting anecdote, thank you for sharing. My primary goal is to never need a new shortblock. Glad to know I don't have to shell out good bucks for an OE grenade.

with that parts list, you'll be "ynansb" soon :)

btw, that cai is bling at your power levels

Any specific suggestions or input you have on preventing or delaying the occurrence of a ynansb-type fiasco is welcome and appreciated ;)

As far as the cold air intake is concerned, I got it in a sale pack during last holiday times along with the AP. Are you suggesting i don't use it?

Edited by Karlor