LegacyGT.com

Hood Support Strut Ball Socket, 2010 Legacy

I just received the replacement hood support struts. As I attempted to install them, I discovered that the OEM hood support struts cannot be separated from the ball socket.

Now that I must buy new ball sockets (sockets did not come with the struts), does anyone know the thread pitch and bolt diameter of the hood support ball socket for the 2010 Legacy?

They should pop out of the socket. You have to pry up on the spring clip. Maybe this video will help you.

There is something completely odd about the strut on my 2010 Legacy. Looking at the condition of this strut, I am guessing this is the stock component. Here is what it looks like.

attachment.php?attachmentid=290691&stc=1&d=1615771332

1486444226_subaruhoodstrutballjoint.thumb.jpg.136fe0e1e610765283437d9349b67091.jpg

Similar to a friends 2014 Impreza hatch struts I helped replace. There is a metal ring in a groove that holds the ball in. It's not designed to ever come out. Out of curiosity I wanted to see how much hacking I would have to do to remove it and I basically had to destroy it with an angle grinder.

Parts.subaru.com shows the OEM lift support as being the kind that you can use a flathead screwdriver to release a clip. Not sure why yours is a different style. The part number for the stud is 901390005.

yeah, you can't get the stud out for whatever stupid reason...thanks subaru.

901390005 is the part number, they're like $4/per, just buy some new ones.

Yeah. I makes little since to do what they did with the ball studs. I order a new set of 4 ball studs. I'll see how it goes and report back.

On the same note. I replaced the struts for the trunk. In that location, they used standard replaceable struts.