LegacyGT.com

Did anybody figure out how to get all 5MT trans fluid out?

I'm reading up as much as I can in preparation for my trans and diff fluid change, and one thing I've noticed in quite a couple of photos is that not all of the trans fluid will come out during drain.

Any tips on how to get as much fluid out as possible?

I don’t think it’s possible to get ALL the fluid out. If you’ve ever disassembled one, you would be amazed at how much fluid sticks to assemblies. When you change your oil you definitely don’t get ALL the oil out.

I didn't mean how to completely suck it dry. Just wondering what's the best practice to get the most old oil out safely.

For the front diff.

It'd kinda be a PITA, but in your shoes I'd chock the front wheels and shift into reverse, and jack the back of the car a little by the rear diff to empty the tail of the transmission better. Basically I'd just jack up each side of the car to try and get out as much as possible.

For the rear diff I think you'd only have to jack up the front of the car to try and get more out.

For the front diff.

It'd kinda be a PITA, but in your shoes I'd chock the front wheels and shift into reverse, and jack the back of the car a little by the rear diff to empty the tail of the transmission better. Basically I'd just jack up each side of the car to try and get out as much as possible.

For the rear diff I think you'd only have to jack up the front of the car to try and get more out.

Currently my plan is to reverse onto small ramps made out of wood with my rear tires, jack up the front and put it on jack stands, undo the plug, and when I see it stopped draining, lower the front to get whatever else comes out. Then jack it back up to level of course and proceed with fill.

Yeah, you never all the old stuff out. You need to jack up the front drain some, then jack up the rear, drain some. Then the front again, etc.

I think about a qt stays in.

My driveway has a slope in it, I park the car on the slope, chock the front tires, jack up the rear just below level. or use my ramps under the front tires to drain the rear diff. that will take .8qt to refill it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here