LegacyGT.com

Front strut mounts - options?

So, I spent months chasing a front end clunk when my car was riding on JDM Bilsteins. See here for background.

Forget most of that thread though haha. I installed Konis and H&R springs in October, since I decided I wanted to go lower than the Bilsteins allowed. I purchased new KYB strut mounts front and rear to go with the other components.

Fast forward to about 10 days ago, and the clunk is back. It's not as bad as it was before. I had pretty much decided that the issue back then was the front left Bilstein strut itself. The Koni setup has been super nice, until now.

On doing some reading it seems the KYB front mounts are not favored, but I can't find much reference to the specific problem. The car has only had this setup on for 3.5 months and about 2500 miles. I verified that everything is tight so I don't think that's the issue (and if you check my other thread, things like balljoints/swaybar bushings/endlinks etc have all been replaced).

So, I'm thinking now it may be these KYB mounts and I'm exploring possibilities for replacement. Obviously OEM is an option but at $100 each that seems pricey. What have folks had good luck with? Moog, Monroe, Gabriel and Westar are available on Rockauto but the only one I might take a chance on is Moog and even then I'd prefer to have some recommendations.

I guess Group N or Whiteline mounts would be an option. I'm unclear what p/n to look for with those though, so if anyone has them it'd be helpful.

I am utterly sick of this issue, it's annoying as hell, so any input is appreciated.

I'd go with the Group N's. A little pricey at $79/ea from Rallispec before shipping. I have the Whiteline Com C's and the clunking noise appeared after about 5k miles on them. I've just been living with it for the time being. Haven't installed the Group N's yet but haven't heard anything bad about them. My wagon is in the shop for ton of work and installing these is part of that.

http://www.rallispec.com/mou_top_rstl419.html

I forget which thread it was in but Mike from AZP had said those top hats paired with the Koni's was his favorite setup.

I can get the part # for them later tonight if I remember (tax season is a b****).

Here's the part number.

1.thumb.jpg.2b40e9a3f5305bb5db0f696b9b31612d.jpg

Edited by DoctorDaveLGT

I'd go with the Group N's. A little pricey at $79/ea from Rallispec before shipping. I have the Whiteline Com C's and the clunking noise appeared after about 5k miles on them. I've just been living with it for the time being. Haven't installed the Group N's yet but haven't heard anything bad about them. My wagon is in the shop for ton of work and installing these is part of that.

http://www.rallispec.com/mou_top_rstl419.html

I forget which thread it was in but Mike from AZP had said those top hats paired with the Koni's was his favorite setup.

I can get the part # for them later tonight if I remember (tax season is a b****).

Here's the part number.

[ATTACH]290071[/ATTACH]

Are these the same spec as stock LGT/OB, or are they the shorter Spec B/Bilstein configuration? I'm running Koni, so stock geometry is preferred.

Same configuration as SpecB/bilstein so you'll need to utilize some SS washers to get everything to work right with the Koni's.

The Whiteline ComC's are also SpecB configuration and I never had issues with a raised front/saggy butt on the wagon with swift springs. Actually now that I think about it when I first switched to the Swift springs and OEM LGT top hats there was a little bit of rake but a when we added the ComC's for more camber adj it raised the front enough to level out perfectly in my opinion.

1.thumb.jpg.c518d50cb9b7eeaad3aae5be93c4db9b.jpg