LegacyGT.com

Rear CV Axles (Help/Advice needed)

So wait, everyone seems to say aftermarket rear CV axles are shorter in length than OEM? Can anyone actually confirm that? Seems to me that RA lists many that measure 30 5/8” overall compressed length. Does anyone have an OEM to measure for comparison?

Also, is the part different from auto to MT? I see some on fleaBay that say OEM or JDM but don’t specify AT/MT. Is buying a used one and sending it in for a rebuild a good idea? My car is a DD and I don’t have time/another car to wait that long. Also when it’s all said and done, buying used axles and sending them in for a rebuild isn’t exactly cheap either. Plus, what if you get the wrong part in the first place?

First thing to clear up is what you mean my rebuild, I think what most of us are talking about is removing an old boot and installing a new boot with fresh grease. If there is any significant wear on the inside parts the axel is no good. Typically an axel only starts to wear when they loose the grease (ie. torn boot) as long as it is still sealed they tend to last many many miles, but obviously not forever.

Rear axles don't have the same range of motion and thus don't fail as often as the front do which have to articulate much more when turning.

Lastly, if you find someone trying to regrind any parts don't touch it, the metal surfaces go through a hardening process, any grinding of this layer will only lead to premature failure of the part. I have heard of rebuilds that get a used part and install new rollers inside the original housing, but I don't think these are even sold my major retailers anymore.

Just found this

Stock rear axles pair. These have the original boots, so might be time to replace the boots and refresh the grease inside. - $40 pair. This is prob best for local sale due to the weight of shipping them.

From this,

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2005-gt-parts-283725.html

socalsleeper, do you still have those...this OP may buy them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yup I trip over them all the time.

Now here is another option, I can install new boots on these for some one else. I was an ASE certified dealer technician in the past, I just happen to have a desk job now but I still have all my tools. I rebuilt my fronts recently as part of my build. I did not do the rears because I did not see the need for my car since I will be going 6 speed.

Edited by socalsleeper

For those of you still checking up on this post I received my genuine Subaru OE cv axle today part number 28421AG02C. I placed them side by side and the OE one is definitely slightly longer than aftermarket. I measure the distance it appears to be approximately 3/16 of a difference. I will share a photo to show the difference. It may seem minor but if the aftermarket is shorter then I have to presume the lock ring can not engage with the grove in the axle end causing it to pop out like in my case.6be5cd4ea8881ba21bf9d5dc22a07e9e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the picture.

I wonder if you might want to post this that picture in it's own thread titled something about the difference in rear axles.

That's good info that should be easy to find now that these cars are getting older.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here