LegacyGT.com

08 LGT misfiring but no engine codes

I got this 08 LGT 122k miles, with cross-threaded spark plug threads (previous owner was trying to fix a misfire), I retapped the threads & put in a Helicoil. Also just did a timing belt job on it while putting the head back on. I got it running again and on the first start up, this thing runs like dog sh*t. The only codes it's showing is for the front o2 sensor.

It ran pretty rough before I fixed the spark plug and had misfire codes for all 4 cylinders, and when I took the timing cover off it looked like the tensioner plunger failed and may have cause the engine to jump time (timing marks were off about a tooth).

There's also a massive exhaust leak coming from around/under the turbo area that I haven't been able to fully track down.

Could this thing have a bad PCM and what's the best way to determine that? Or what would be the ideal tests to run and things to check first? All the plugs and coils LOOKED new. And could the exhaust leak make it run so rough? Any input is appreciated

Edited by SpeedyRu08
Typo

Are you sure the timing is spot on? My preferred method is to count the number of teeth between pulleys as per FSM.

I'm almost certain it is. I tried reusing the old belt because it only had like 20k miles on it but the marks didn't line up at all so I got a new belt and the pulleys I needed. The left (driver side) intake cam gear was about a half a tooth off but I've seen that on several other DOHC timing belt jobs I've done (YouTube videos too). Everything else was spot on.

I would fix all the problems before trying to diagnose a bad ECM. Exhaust leaks can definitely cause an O2 code.

I'm just going to replace all the gaskets on the side where the exhaust leak is and see where that leaves me. I did a smoke test by putting the smoke machine hose in the tail pipe and plugging the tailpipes and all the smoke was coming from the turbo area.

So I just found that the up pipe is in 2 pieces. The upper piece that bolts to the turbo is still attached but I was able to wiggle out the lower part that mounts to the exhaust manifold. I can't imagine this is normal. Can anyone tell me if this pipe is supposed to be welded or something and be one piece?

If you are serious in getting this car in top notch, etc.., I would consider using a logging tool so you can see what the ECU is doing. I personally use the BtSsm app for android. The original sensor is no longer available, but there are other sensor options which can run with the app.

You'll be able to check the amount of fuel correction for different driving conditions, which can help you figure out if you have vacuum leaks; report of misfire per cylinder, check if your OCVs are working properly, get alerted for knock which is important.

--> https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/btssm-bluetooth-adapter-app-v-1-closed-229709.html