LegacyGT.com

Cruise control keeps turning off when driving downhill

Hey all, started to have a weird issue with my wagon this morning. When driving on the freeway to work, I drive mostly downhill to work and uphill back. I had cruise set at 70 MPH and, as the road started to become steep, my cruise kept disengaging. I’d re-engage it and it would disengage after a couple seconds again. When the freeway leveled out I had no issues. The master cruise stays on but the set speed keeps disengaging, only when going downhill.

Also, potentially relevant but I’m uncertain: when I park my car with the nose pointed downhill and attempt to crank it to life, often the car takes a lot of extra cranking to get started. Not sure if they’re related.

Car is a manual transmission.

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks.

Edited by Pleides

Wow, I haven't heard of this problem in about 14 years.

You need to thin the washer on the neutral safety switch.

I was one of the early guys to have that issue. Just remove the switch, its the upper one on the side of the 5mt, grind the washer thin and put it back on.

Also this time of year, cold weather, the car may need to crank 4 or 5 times before it fires up. 3 times is normal.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

OH wow! That’s perfect and exactly what I’m dealing with. Also, since I drove uphill home today, I did find that the cruise kept disengaging.

Yeah I was getting like 5 extra seconds of cranking to get it to life. Neutral switch makes perfect sense. Haven’t had it happen in a week or so though.